Fresh Corn Chowder
6 ears of fresh corn, silk and husk removed
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
3 slices bacon, finely chopped
2 T butter
2 T all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook corn in a large kettle with boiling water for five minutes. Remove from water and cool. Slice corn kernels from cobs and place in separate bowl.
2. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook celery, carrot, onion, bacon, and butter over medium-high heat until bacon is browned.
3. Sprinkle flour over vegetable/bacon mixture and stir with spoon until combined. Slowly add milk and stir mixture until thick and smooth.
4. Add corn, chives, and salt/pepper.
5. If desired, add half of mixture to blender, pour back into pot and serve.
*****Possible variations: add cooked shrimp, crabmeat, or finely chopped cooked chicken*******
Baked parmesan tomatoes
4 large tomatoes
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp whole-grain mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
5 large basil leaves, sliced thinly
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
pepper to taste
1. Blanch whole tomatoes. (Place in a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes, remove and cool in colander). The skins will easily slip from tomatoes. Remove core and half horizontally. Place in oven-proof dish.
2. Mix remaining ingredients. Add olive oil if necessary to thin mixture.
3. Top each tomato with an equal portion of the mayonnaise mixture. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned.
1 lb lump crabmeat
1/3 small onion, finely chopped
1 T dry mustard
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1 T Old Bay seasoning
1 T fresh lemon juice
1 T fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 t worchestire sauce
panko bread crumbs
1. Pick through crabmeat and discard all cartilage segments.
2. Mix remaining ingredients into crabmeat and refrigerate for 1 hr.
3. In oven-proof dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs. Form crabcakes patties and place into breadcrumbs. Sprinkle additional breadcrumbs on top. Place a pat of butter and additional seafood seasoning on top, if desired.
4. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until browned and crispy on top.
Chocolate brownies with peanut-butter chips
1 2/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 T water
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
10 oz peanut butter chips
1. Cream butter, sugar and water.
2. Add eggs and vanilla.
3. Add remaining dry ingredients except chips.
4. Stir in chips.
5. Bake at 350 for 18-25 minutes until toothpick inserted near center comes out slightly sticky.
(makes 2 dozen brownies)