Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It Never Fails.... and steamed shrimp



Why is it that whenever Rob is away we have a minor catastrophe? A few years ago we experienced a mouse epidemic. We caught nine mice in seven days (all in the same kitchen cabinet). Thankfully I could pay my son to dispose of the mice. Yesterday and today was bear camp. What is that you ask? Apparently it's when weird boys tromp around in the woods [in the rain] looking for a bear but only seeing squirrels instead. I'm trying to be supportive, really I am, but then we had a clogged pipe. So, anything that travels down the kitchen sink reappears in the laundry-room utility sink. I consider myself tough (I mean, come on, I had an 11lb 4oz baby). My toughness does not extend however, to rodents or clogged pipes. I have resorted to filling a bowl with the water and flushing it down the toilet. I'll be honest, I gagged quite a few times. (And I did try to call a plumber, but he was unwilling to "travel" 20 minutes, and I think I'll just let Rob fix this...you know, cause I'm supportive!)

The one good thing about Rob being out of town is that I feel a little freer to try new recipes. Tonight we had steamed shrimp, leek bread pudding, and sauteed cabbage with butter beans. Unfortunately, the cabbage/beans were tasteless, and the bread pudding was underseasoned. The shrimp, on the other hand, were delicious. This recipe would be perfect for entertaining during the holiday season. I have been making steamed shrimp like this since I started cooking. I like to steam my own shrimp to ensure that they are perfectly done. It usually takes about 11-12 minutes to achieve a nice firm texture. This is my mom's recipe and it is super simple but delicious all the same. I always dip my shrimp in lots of cocktail sauce (equal parts horseradish and ketchup).

Steamed Shrimp
1 lb shell-on raw shrimp
1 lemon, quartered
1 stalk celery, halved
1 small onion, halved
2 cups water

steam the shrimp in the remaining ingredients until shrimp are firm and pink

2 comments:

  1. Too bad about the plumbing situation. I would like to know where this plumber gets all his business. How far IS he willing to travel? Does he get plenty of business in a 5 minute radius? That kind of stuff irritates me, obviously.
    I've never steamed my own shrimp. Maybe I should?

    ReplyDelete