Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I Need A Detox

Don't worry, I gave up liquor a long time ago. I can't even handle one lemon-drop martini, but that's another story for another day. No, believe it or not, I need a detox from food. This weekend we had an amazing celebration with lots of family and friends. My in-laws were able to dedicate their vocational training center for disabled adults. This weekend was the culmination of many hours and months of hard work, fervent prayer, and a vision.

We had many family members travel to York from: Ohio, Colorado, Minnesota, and Iowa. It was so great to spend time together celebrating and having a fun time. I knew my mother-in-law would be crazy busy with all of her other responsibilities, so I was very happy to make some food for all of us to enjoy for the weekend. I made very easy things that would be durable enough to wait in the refrigerator until needed. I worked steadily for a day and was honestly pretty embarrassed with the attention it created.

Unfortunately, I must have been eating McDonald's soft-serve ice cream, Wal-Mart red velvet cake, and Martins kettle-cooked potato chips instead of taking pictures. I did take a few of Friday evening when we enjoyed:


loaded mashed potatoes (four words, people: BJ's thick cut bacon)



beef brisket
steamed green beans
caesar salad
balsamic bbq chicken
broccoli-cauliflower salad
ice cream cake


I don't know if I'm unusual, but I notice when I eat food loaded with additives - my skin and hair totally pay the price. I feel sluggish, greasy, and smelly. It's gross. I try to keep healthy choices in our kitchen, not only for my family, but also for my lack of self control.

And, so, after this weekend of eating:

Thursday: baked rigatoni, cheesy garlic bread, mixed greens (with roasted asparagus, goat cheese, and pine nuts), fresh watermelon, and key lime pie

Friday: see above

Saturday: chicken salad sandwiches, potato salad, pasta salad, fresh fruit, leftover brisket, tossed salad, and assorted cookies, ice cream, and cake

Sunday: sausage sandwiches, leftover everything

With the exception of a whole lot of starches, most of these foods are relatively benign. The problem, for me, was all of the other extras [in which I was not in control of the ingredients]. I won't even admit how many helpings of soft serve ice cream, bags of chips, and pieces of cake.

Sunday evening I was already starting to feel a little yucky. I took a two-hour nap and woke up with a craving for fiber and color. I headed to Giant and picked up a few things for a light-ish dinner.

Yes, that's butter on a steak, doesn't that suggest light and detoxifying? Okay, so I started off a little slowly on the whole detox thing.



We also tried this. I happen to really enjoy Kashi products. I would have chosen a different version of their pizza, but I knew I should pick something pretty tame for Rob to get on board with a frozen pizza. The verdict? The crust was a little cardboard-like, but all in all, it wasn't too bad.




Then, there was this. A spinach salad with goat cheese, raspberries, and pine nuts. And, Joshua made this little gravy boat for me, isn't it cute? I made a simple dressing with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a splash of orange juice.



Fast forward to Monday. Mondays are usually designated "the first day of the rest of my life". Yesterday was certainly no exception.

If you haven't tried this, I totally recommend it. It is really delicious, especially with fresh fruit and skim milk.



We enjoyed spaghetti squash for dinner. I mixed it with turkey sausage, sauteed peppers and onions, roasted tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella. I'm sure you've noticed, I am fanatical about fresh mozzarella. It is extremely buttery and fresh tasting and adds a unique flavor to just about anything.







How about you? Do you struggle with self-control? Do you notice your body rebelling after eating a bunch of bad things? How do you succeed at detoxing?

4 comments:

  1. hey! oh yes.. if i start down that lane it's bad news. but if i don't even start i can usually hold off on bad food!
    my friend and i did a fruit flush. it was hard but awesome! let me know if you are interested and i can get you the instructions :)
    glad you had fun this past weekend- we were in FL and actually on way home in atlanta saw everyone in the airport :) funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. by last night I was craving a good, healthy meal...we had marinated grilled chicken, spinach + veggie salad and mixed fruit. I need to eat like that all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie-
    That is too funny you saw everyone at the airport! I hope you had a nice time away - I'm sure it was very hard to leave your friends (Ben's mom and dad). A fruit flush sounds interesting (and doable in the middle of summer when there is fresh produce abounding). Do you mind sending me the info? I could maybe last a couple of days - would that get me anywhere?
    Stacy-
    your dinner sounds amazing! Those chips this weekend tasted so good, didn't they? It's amazing, though, how crappy I feel now!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just added 10 pounds just looking at all that glorious food. Thanks.

    I dont think we can get spaghetti squash here.

    And I want you to know I love that you put butter on your steak. I do it here and people look at me like I'm mad but I dont do sauce on steak..except for my garlic parmesan sauce occasionally.

    And as for the healthy eating- I freely admit I dont do well with keeping on track with that.

    ReplyDelete