Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Sausage "quiche"

Also known as: the only thing I had the energy to throw together.

Today I made three batches of smoked salmon spread. Twelve pounds of potato salad. Turned eight roasted chickens into crazy amounts of chicken salad.

Then it was time to make dinner. Ugh.

I had the wherewithal to defrost a pack of country sausage links earlier in the day. I also had a red pepper, an onion, some leftover potatoes, and one egg. Thankfully I have the best neighbor. She's also my sister-in-law. She came to the rescue with three eggs (I already used three dozen earlier in my cooking exploits).

Within fifteen minutes, I had dinner in the oven.

Ever since my sister mentioned rhubarb sauce with tapioca (yesterday), I've been meaning to make vanilla pudding with rhubarb sauce.  I simmered both on the stove while I cleaned up the kitchen for the bajillionth time.

I wish we had a good choice locally for home-cooked takeout. It was fairly painless to throw dinner and dessert together, but I would have welcomed a little help.

At any rate, here are the recipes!



Sausage "quiche"

1lb breakfast sausage, crumbled and casing removed
1 red pepper, chopped
5 small Yukon gold potatoes, par-cooked in the microwave
1 small onion, chopped
2tbsp olive oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 tsp Dijon
Salt, pepper
Shredded cheddar

1. Sautéed sausage in olive oil until barely pink. Add potatoes, peppers, and onions. Sauté until browned.
2. Place sauté mixture in baking pan.
3. Mix eggs, mustard, seasonings and half and half. Pour over sausage mixture. Top with cheese and bake for thirty five minutes at 375 degrees.






Vanilla Pudding Recipe

Rhubarb-Berry Compote

2 cups chopped rhubarb 1/4 cup strawberries/red raspberries 1 cup sugar In a medium saucepan, simmer ingredients until soft (about 7 minutes). Purée if desired.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine having to cook after cooking the whole day. I struggle to cook after work and I'm not in the kitchen. Your quiche looks great, as does the pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta say that sausage dinner looks almost identical to my chorizo casserole, which is one my favourite stand bys at the moment. And sheesh you chucked some veg in there so its all good!

    ReplyDelete