Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mashed Potatoes

We love mashed potatoes here.  We are what you call carbivores.  If I had to give up starches I'd be a continually grumpy person.  Even though I love mashed potatoes - can I just say that I think they're kind of hard to make?  I have, on more than several occasions, made mashed potatoes that tasted and looked like wallpaper paste.  I have made lumpy mashed potatoes, I have made dry mashed potatoes, runny mashed potatoes, and tasteless ones.  To me, as a committed carbivore, mashed potatoes are worth persevering for. 

Lately, I've been using yukon golds.  Love them.  I peel and chop pretty small pieces and then boil until fork tender.  I feel like a fork is a better test than the paring knife I had been previously using.  I then use my hand mixer, lots of butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, and 2 % milk. 

Our favorite mashed potatoes are topped with cheddar (Cabot seriously sharp), crumbled bacon, and sliced green onion tops. 

Check these out -

before baking


Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until golden brown.

These are perfect with "down-home" meals - your typical meat and potatoes fare with a little bit of a twist.




after baking

If you love mashed potatoes - you'll love these.  You can make them ahead of time (even the day before) and simply bake 40 minutes before you're ready to eat. 

6 comments:

  1. looks tasty! we love potatoes too. I'm glad I am not the only one with potato issues. :) I have a potato ricer which makes the smoothest mashed potatoes ever, its a great invention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard about twice baked potatoes and wonder if these are them. It always seemed such an interesting thing to do. Yours look yummy!

    Mr. P loves mashed potatoes (me too) .Im going to do these tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always use Yukon golds too. I use a potato ricer like Annika. And I always add tons of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have had many problems with mashed potatoes. I'll try using a fork instead of a knife to test them. Since using a potato ricer I have had more consistent smoother results.
    It's too hot here to cook anything in the oven so I will bookmark this for when it's cooler because it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly never make potatoes! I feel like we have them all the time when back in Kesley and thus just don't try to make them at home :) But these look really good....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome idea- I'll have to try it! They look so yummy :) Thanks for recommending Cabot cheese! The farm families who own Cabot appreciate your support :)
    ~Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete