Friday, May 27, 2011

Baked Mashed Potatoes - the Recipe

Blogger is finally cooperating.  The recipes that I promised you are forthcoming - I had a request to start with this one: baked mashed potatoes. 



Truthfully, this isn't even really a recipe, it's more like a concept. 

I make my mashed potatoes by boiling same-sized potatoes (yukon gold, preferably) in heavily salted water until fork tender.  I've actually taken to tasting a potato to determine the consistency.  What you don't want are water-logged potatoes (aka wallpaper paste), or lumpy mashed potatoes.  The potatoes should be very tender (but not gluey - you'll know what I mean, hopefully). 

For this application, add softened cream cheese in place of some of the milk.  Add plenty of butter, and the seasonings you prefer.  I also add some milk - you want the potatoes to be a little on the moist side since you'll be baking them.  I like to add garlic powder to round out the flavor, but any seasonings you choose are totally optional. 

The cream cheese gives the potatoes, well, a creamy flavor for lack of a better descriptive  For a simply ratio: for 8 potatoes you'll need about 6oz of cream cheese, 4 T butter, and maybe 1/4 cup of milk.  The variety of potato you use will determine how much milk you'll need.  Your best tool is your tongue - taste away.  

Then, simply finish with your toppings of choice and bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.  We like ours with sharp cheddar (Cabot seriously sharp is my absolute fave), crumbled bacon, and plenty of chives.  Try serving these with barbequed meats, a nice thick steak, or some grilled seafood.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! They're on my menu for this weekend, Kirsten. Happy Friday! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bookmarked and Im making them tomorrow night!

    Thanks for sharing your culinary brilliance...

    ReplyDelete