Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spring Salad

In our area, local lettuce is in season.  Impossibly tender lettuce leaves, the colors ranging from grass-green to mahogany red.  It won't be long until the daytime temperatures are hot enough to wilt these fragile specimens. 



When I saw this recipe last week, I acted quickly.  As in, I'm pretty sure I made it for lunch that day. 

I adore blue cheese.  I normally make my own salad dressing, and the girls and I enjoy creamy blue cheese dressing.  It's simple, it's satisfying, and I usually have the ingredients on hand.  This blue cheese dressing intrigued me.  I adapted it just a little, only because I didn't have all of the ingredients - and since my craving demanded an instant reward, I made do with what I had. 



I made this salad last week for a luncheon and it was a hit.  I meant to take pictures of the other things I prepared, but when I arrived to the event, the guests were ready for lunch.  The original plan was to eat an hour after I arrived, but I love when people are excited to eat - so we ate.  And I didn't take pictures.  Sorry. 

I have since made this dressing to pour over steamed asparagus, and also with parmesan in place of the blue cheese.  Both were equally perfect.



This is my lunch today - I included some roasted tomatoes and a leftover roasted red potato.  I sliced a few radishes, but you could add whatever you have in your refrigerator.  Toasted walnuts would be lovely.  Grilled vegetables delightful.  Poured over a baked potato.  Drizzled over a steak.  The possibilities are  limitless. 


  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 t finely chopped chives
  • 2 t finely chopped parsley
  • 2 t finely chopped Oregano
  • 2 t dijon
  • 2 t fresh cracked Black Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Tabasco
  • 2 t Brown Sugar
  • 1 t Sea Salt
  • 6 oz (170g) Blue Cheese, crumbled
  • 2/3 c (155ml) Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1/2 c (120ml) Olive Oil
  • 1 c (235ml) Flax Seed Oil (or canola oil)
1. Assemble all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl or jar. Combine well. 2. Toss dressing over lettuces.

2 comments:

  1. Love blue cheese sauce but have never had dressing. Your recipe looks divine.

    Since It's not exactly salad weather here I've book marked it for when we have steak at some point during the long cold winter. (Are you feeling sorry for me yet ?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good Kirsten. It's not exactly salad weather here either, although it's a bit warmer than where Shay lives. I'll be bookmarking it too for when it's nice enough to want to eat a salad again.

    ReplyDelete