Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My New Favorite Thing...

I mentioned these slow-roasted tomatoes on one of my last posts.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to make roasted tomatoes before. Surprisingly, I've found that the secret lies in the quality of the tomatoes. I know this probably doesn't sound surprising, but stay with me. The secret is poor-quality, winter white, cardboard tomatoes. I've tried to roast tomatoes from my garden - local, sugary-sweet, jewel-colored specimens, and they were disappointing to say the least. After reading one of Ina Garten's cookbooks, I found that she suggests roma tomatoes, which you can find year-round in a large bin at your local grocery store. Her recipes are consistently flawless and this recipe is certainly no exception.

Here are the tomatoes before they were slow-roasted

And after

The application is so simple, but so versatile. I like topping a piece of baguette with a smear of goat cheese and a tomato slice.

Last night I topped tilapia fillets with slices of slow-roasted tomatoes, chopped zucchini, slivered mint and chives (from my garden), yellow pepper, feta cheese, and lemon. I drizzled the mixture with olive oil, salt and pepper. The topping was seriously amazing. I am brainstorming a little in order to create the perfect dish. I wasn't totally satisfied with the tilapia, does anyone have any other suggestions? I think chicken would be too dense - maybe cod? sea bass? I do think this would make a terrific topping for pizza, maybe with naan or pita.


Even though the fish recipe wasn't a perfect result, the tomatoes are definitely worth trying. They are inexpensive, simple, and can be used in many different ways.

Ina's Slow-Roasted Tomatoes

roma tomatoes, cored and sliced into third
olive oil
garlic powder
balsamic vinegar

drizzle roma slices (on baking sheet) with all ingredients and roast at 275 degrees for 2 hours

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad you put this up because i wanted to try these with an artichoke gratin i found...thanks!