Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pizza and a Movie

NBC is apparently trying to bring back "family movie night". Our Friday nights are usually pretty boring anyway, so we thought we'd give it a try. Wal-mart was one of the main sponsors, and some of the commercials I'd seen were plugging buying pizzas and staying in as a family to watch the movie, "Into the Mountain".

I probably haven't been to the Wal-Mart here in York for a few years. On vacation, we usually buy some of our things there, but here I always opt for Target. Either way, I thought it might be fun for each of us to make our own pizzas. Josh really loves taco pizza and Emma requested pepperoni, so I just bought some various toppings. We snacked on sweet gherkins and grapes (a disgusting combo, I know) and assembled our pizzas together. I simply handed each person a round of pizza dough (bought at Price-Rite for 84 cents) and laid out toppings.

Josh wanted me to take a picture of his masterpiece so my blog readers would know how creative he is!



I made a whole pizza for Rob and I to share. On Rob's 3/4, I made him a typical pepperoni pizza. My part of the pizza, however, was way better. I made Ina Garten's slow roasted tomatoes and topped them with olive oil, parm, spinach, and fresh mozzarella. Holy moan-inducing results!



Ina's Slow Roasted Tomatoes

roma tomatoes, cored and sliced laterally
salt
pepper
olive oil
sugar
balsamic vinegar

Place tomato slices on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle all ingredients over tomato slices (only a little of each ingredient is needed). Bake at 275 degrees for 2 hrs.
**These slices are also delicious on baguette bread, topped with slivers of parmesan, goat cheese, or brie**

The final result on our night? Well, three scary dreams later (two for Kate, one for Emma), I'd say we're probably better off renting something from red box! The make-your-own pizza idea, though, was a success. It was so great to just hang out in our kitchen and work on a project together. I should have taken pictures of the process, but my kitchen floor is so, so dirty. On that note, I'm off to clean it...
wish me luck! I bought a new rug to put in front of the sink and I want to scrub my floor before I lay it down. (and another Magic Eraser bites the dust!)

4 comments:

  1. Your 1/4 of the pizza sounds yummy! I wonder how long I need to wait before I "splurge" on pizza again? Especially since I had some cookies this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing @ your dirty floor comment. Mine is gross at the moment too. Fortunately Little Pyajmas is not home to drag himself through all the grot.

    I love home made pizza and yours sounds soooooooo good! We make homemade pizza here a lot. Sometimes I use pita bread as the base. Yum!

    And Josh's pizza is indeed a masterpiece!

    (I lament the demise of the Sunday night movie , I really miss having them! I guess DVD killed the need )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to buy that magic eraser thing- where do you get it again? my floor is gross. i love that you included the "rob's 3/4 detail"- that is totally curt and i as well :) those tomatoes sound fabulous! we have pizza every friday so i'll have to try that next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marion- don't ask me about splurging, I'm sure to lead you astray! but, to be fair, you really did want to try PW's pizza dough recipe :)

    Mrs P- my floor is finally clean...I feel a little nazi-esque behavior beginning to start - I usually get this way a couple of times a year, I develop a neat-freak obsession for a few weeks and then revert back to my lazy behavior!
    pita bread would be a great base for pizza! what do you typically eat on your pizza?

    Abbie- you can get magic erasers at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. They are sold in the cleaning section. Just to warn you, they disintegrate - it's pretty weird. But, I really can't profess enough my love for them.
    And, you have to make Ina's tomatoes! She uses the recipe (according to her cookbook) all year long and always with roma tomatoes. They have a caramelized, deep, and intense flavor - seriously amazing. She uses them for caprese salad all-year. I love, love, love her recipes!

    ReplyDelete