I know I've mentioned before that my cravings for certain foods are very seasonal. Around this time of year I always become hungry for asparagus, leeks, spinach, rhubarb, artichokes, and lighter fare. We usually eat less heavy meats and starches and everything begins to taste a lot more fresh.
Here is a perfect example of a "spring" meal for us: Leek and Spinach Quiche, Rhubarb Muffins, Parmesan-Artichoke Topped Tomatoes, and Lentils.
Leek and Spinach Quiche (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
1 unbaked pie crust
4 leeks, white part only, sliced
2 T butter
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 cup sliced spinach
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup shredded swiss cheese
ground black pepper
1. Saute leeks in butter. Add thyme, cover and cook for ten minutes.
2. Add spinach and saute for one minute.
3. Place leeks and spinach on unbaked pie crust. Cover with shredded cheese.
4. In small bowl, mix: eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over shredded cheese.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, or until puffed, brown, and set in the center.
Rhubarb Muffins (adapted from Taste of Home)
Recipe here (just adapt for muffins)
Artichoke and Parmesan-Topped Tomatoes
4 medium tomatoes, cored and halved
2 T mayonnaise
1 T parmesan cheese
1 tsp fresh basil
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 can artichokes, chopped (not marinated)
panko and parmesan for topping
1. Place tomatoes cut-side up on baking pan.
2. Mix next five ingredients in small bowl.
3. Top each tomato half with 1 T mixture, then top with additional panko and parmesan.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, until browned.
Lentils recipe here