Monday, November 7, 2011

Ridiculously Delicious Beef Stew.

I love going out to eat.  The only problem I normally have is that I'm usually disappointed by the end of the meal.  It's hard for me to enjoy something that I could have made at home for a fraction of the cost.   But, when I discover something really delicious, I consider the investment will result in a full return.  Plus, having someone else do the dishes is something really special. 



I first tasted Guinness Beef Stew at an "Irish Pub" in downtown York.  The hearty stew was served over mashed potatoes.  It was awesome.  I knew I could recreate it at home.  And I did.  And now you can, too.

The components are flavorful, but ordinary.  




You'll need cubed sweet potatoes, chopped carrots, chopped garlic cloves, and sliced onions.  




Beef - I used a package of discounted sirloin steak from Giant.  I simply cubed the beef.  I think the total cost on the package was $2.74.  




The last ingredients include a dark beer (I used Anchor porter-style), beef broth, and tomato paste.  




You'll also need mashed potatoes.  I used red potatoes and really upped the flavor by using butter, light cream, salt and pepper.  





Beef Stew over Mashed Potatoes


Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 pound chopped beef
3 T butter
1 bottle dark porter-style beer
1 can beef broth
1 small can tomato paste (about 1/2 cup)
2-3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
mashed potatoes (the link is for baked mashed potatoes, but the basic concept is discussed here)

1.  In a large stockpot, saute carrots, sweet potato, onion, and garlic in butter [on medium-high heat] for five minutes. 
2.  Remove vegetables from pot and place into a bowl.  To the same stockpot, add the cubed beef.  Saute for five minutes, allowing the beef to form a crust and the bottom of the pan to build up brown bits.
3.  Sprinkle beef with flour and stir to coat.  Pour beef broth over mixture and stir to combine.  Add reserved veggies, beer, and tomato paste.  Stir to combine.
4.  Cover stew and simmer for at least an hour on low heat.  Before serving, taste for seasoning.  Top prepared mashed potatoes with stew and serve. 

This, my friends is to.die.for.  The richness of the stew is perfectly balanced by the starchy and creamy mashed potatoes.  Comfort food at it's very best.  So sorry to my Australian friends for suggesting a winter-type meal.  Promise me you'll try this is 9 months!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, looks delicious. This post came at a great time since I am in the middle of planning my menus for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great Fall/Winter meal and sounds positively delicious! I'll definitely try it come next autumn. (Im enjoying salad and cold meats here at the moment !)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kirsten! I found your blog via Sarah Lingenfelter. I remember you from Houghton, but don't think we ever had a chance to really interact.

    Anyhow, this stew looks delicious and easy! Definitely trying it tonight...hoping for leftovers for tomorrow as well while I help my m-i-l prepare for a Thanksgiving feast!

    Blessings!!! Kiley

    ReplyDelete