Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oktoberfest Menu

We're hosting an Oktoberfest party this weekend.  You know, to celebrate Oktober. And other stuff.

I'd like to have German-style foods, but I'm kind of coming up with limited ideas.  I did take a peek at some other menus online, but the ingredients all consist of: potatoes, pork, sausage, and sauerkraut.  And maybe a pretzel or two thrown in.  I like tan food as much as the next guy, but I need some color. 

I'll tell you what I think I'd like to make, but I'd love some additional ideas.  Maybe you've been to an Oktoberfest celebration.  If so, would you tell me what you enjoyed? 

cheesy pierogies
brats with sauerkraut
cole slaw with apples and blue cheese
roasted root vegetables
porchetta sandwiches
apple pie
German chocolate cupcakes -or- sachertorte


I'm expecting an electrician to update our electrical service tomorrow - and he has to be in our attic.  I have this bad habit of throwing things onto the attic steps and then slamming the door shut.  I don't even really know what I'll find today. Any and all suggestions for our party would be appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kirsten!

    What perfect timing for your post!! One of my favorite things that I ate in Berlin was currywurst (it's a Berlin speciality that it a bratwurst covered in a tomato sauce with curry powder sprinkled over it). It is traditionally served with fries. Another favorite was German zwiebelkuchen. It's kind of like a flatbread pizza. It has a white sauce on it and I had mine with arugula, prosciutto, and parmesean on it.

    I like your suggestions. I also had some apple strudel that was delicious!

    Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll email a German friend and see what she suggests...I've never been to Germany so the only way I could help is to google which is what you've already done!

    We have a big German celebration here in January every year but all I recall is sauerkraut and bratwurst!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red cabbage would certainly add some colour. Apple strudel is also very traditional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red cabbage would certainly add some colour. Apple strudel is also very traditional.

    ReplyDelete