Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Grilled Pork Tenderloin

We've all heard that pork is "the other white meat".  While a very clever marketing campaign, I will declare right now that I've given up on pork loin.  What I've discovered, instead, is pork tenderloin.  The pork tenderloin is a good bit more expensive ($6.99/lb at Giant, $3.49/lb at BJ's), but I'd rather not have to choke down a piece of meat.  I've found that any kind of marinade will do just fine, although I prefer to avoid the commercial varieties, in favor of simply raiding my pantry.  Our favorite marinade so far has been: rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder, and ginger (fresh or powdered).  I grill the tenderloin briefly and finish roasting until the meat is cooked through  (170 degrees, internal temperature). 

Last night we enjoyed our favorite marinated pork tenderloin, with brussels sprouts and oven fries.  In case you're wondering, Josh and I are fanatical about brussels sprouts.  I simply parboil them and then sear them on high heat with crispy bacon.


mmmm, crispy, crunchy oven fries

We also use pork tenderloin for lettuce wraps.  Our preferred topping?  Asian "relish".



Asian Relish (for pork tenderloin lettuce wraps)
chopped papaya
chopped cucumber
chopped red pepper
chopped carrot
chopped green mango
grated ginger
grated garlic
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 T sesame oil
1 T toasted sesame seeds
2 T soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce

1.  Chop veggies to equal size.
2.  Dissolve sugar into vinegar in a small saucepan.  Allow to cool.
3.  Mix remaining ingredients and toss with veggies.  Allow flavors to meld for at least 30 minutes, but no more than two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment