Thursday, November 11, 2010

Lunch with a Friend

My friend, Megan came over for lunch on Tuesday.  We both recently sent our six year olds to first-grade, so I guess we're "ladies that lunch".  I am determined to create the "wing" flavor in a way that I can enjoy the flavors without the guilt.  Okay, I don't really feel guilty about eating what I like - I mean, I put egg nog in my coffee every morning.  I guess it's not guilt per se, but simply the commitment to make each bite count. 










My motto is: When in doubt, make it yourself.  I feel pretty passionately that the home cook can re-create dishes at home, and usually much healthier than the restaurant industry or commercial pre-packaged food.  We rarely "eat out" and when we do, it's disappointing.  I always think to myself, "I could have made this, and for much less money".  But, they do the dishes, so sometimes it's a nice treat!


I breaded and baked the chicken tenders, added all the raw veggies I had in my refrigerator, and whipped up a quick blue cheese dressing from my pantry.  I drizzled hot sauce over the chicken. The result: like Mrs P  [who discovered that vegetables taste nothing like salt and vinegar chips], this salad [while reminiscent of a buffalo wing], tasted nothing like the real thing.  It was okay, but when I had eaten most of it, I was "over it".

Moral of the story: Next time Megan and I will meet at Tailgaters for lunch and I'll order deep fried buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing!  

2 comments:

  1. yum! natalie just saw the kids and is freaking out! and she loved the dear pics, too...trav and I got a really good laughed at the story..unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta say I love buffalo wings. We call them devil wings here ...seriously (thats what they're sold as - because Aussie's are irreverant)

    Yep sometimes you just gotta go out. I feel this way about caesar salad. I never quite manage to nail it. (how is that possible?) However your lunch looks pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete