Monday, March 7, 2011

About Being Meatless....

So, I started reading this blog.  It will remain nameless - but the author is a vegan.  She makes all kind of vegan treats - baked goods, savory dishes, and juices (hence my inspiration for this juice).  Her views made me curious.  I wanted to see what would happen if I lived a mostly meat-free existence. 

The kids have been good sports - and only our evening meals for them are meat-free.  The girls still eat turkey sandwiches for lunch and Josh eats whatever it is the school cafeteria calls nourishment. 

Like any lifestyle, there are pros and cons to a vegetarian lifestyle.  First, let's start with some qualifiers : I'm eating fish, and I've only been meat-free for a week or so.  Also, I used a ham bone to make our soup last night.  Rob thinks I've gone bonkers, but really my motivations for doing this included simple curiosity and trying to pass the time [while he left on a skiing vacation for ten days]. 

Our meals - well, I'll be honest - they're nothing special.  Tuna-noodle casserole, anyone?  I still remember the first time I tasted tuna noodle casserole - it was at Emily Anderson's house in fifth grade and her mom put potato chips on top.  I remember it tasting way better when I was ten. 

Then there was this - some sort of orzo and broccoli-cauliflower mix with cheese. 



 
It was okay - it would have tasted a little better with chicken, maybe?  Here's the thing about a meat-free existence - you eat a lot of carbs. 

Last night's meal was a little better - but not any more impressive.



I made pizza and bean and swiss chard soup.  The soup would have tasted like nothing without the ham bone, though.  I think that's what has become evident to me.  Meat flavors things.  I know - you're saying in your head, "duh".  We went out for dinner with my parents on Friday night - I had veggie stromboli (more carbs).  It tasted like nothing.  I like vegetables as much as the next guy - but sometimes I think they need a little help. 

I'm not giving up, though - I promised you a full ten days and that's what I'll give you!  Tonight is veggie enchiladas.  I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Lest you think that there is no upside to a meat-free existence......my skin and hair look amazing.  I don't really need to wear deodorant.  Isn't that weird?  I feel more energetic.  Okay, Rob I know you're rolling your eyes right now and I don't care - you're in Vail and you had baby-back ribs last night - you stink. 

I'm not finished with my challenge yet - but I will go back to eating meat.  I don't know if I feel like I want to eat large slabs of it - but it is about the best flavoring around.  And, my family would have to somehow like beans [a lot more] to adopt this kind of lifestyle on a permanent basis. 

3 comments:

  1. Great that you are attempting this! Though I disagree that meat-free= more carbs. We just sub beans for a lot of "meat" ingredients which, yes, are carbs but are also protein and fiber- two health needs (and fiber nullifies carbs gram for gram). You can also not only do fish, but mushrooms can be subbed for the meat (esp portobello). Glad you are trying it! We do it simply to save some cash- but could NEVER go entirely meat free. I would not be a happy person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Okay, Rob I know you're rolling your eyes right now and I don't care - you're in Vail and you had baby-back ribs last night - you stink."

    Funniest Line EVER!

    You're a better woman than I am Kirsten. I couldnt do it. No way! But I'm enjoying watching you try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great challenge and so good that you are attempting it. We don't eat a lot of meat, but I think I would find it a challenge to be meat free for 10 days. Not having meat every day certainly saves money.

    ReplyDelete