Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Remember When....

I wasn't eating meat?  Thank goodness that little fad went by the wayside before my Dad, my sister and I went to the Famous 4th Street Delicatessen.

my lunch - "regular size" - a Pastrami Reuben, with potato pancakes

each table gets a starter of various pickles and cole slaw

my sister's lunch: a potato knish with corned beef, pastrami, and brisket - topped with sauerkraut and swiss cheese

my Dad's pastrami hot dog

I have no illusions that this is mostly a tourist destination - but really, who cares?  Their food is delicious, the portion sizes are ridiculous, and it's novel.  We had a blast!

They even let me take a few pictures - and, I did see the owner chatting it up with some regulars - maybe some locals come there after all!

prepared salads

cakes and cookies

love the vintage floor

various Jewish pastries - rugelach, hamentaschen, blintzes

 


mmmm, smoked fish




Who doesn't want a black and white cookie as big as your head? 





If you're ever in Philadelphia - check this place out - it was established in 1923.  Even though the delicatessen ceased to be a family-run business in 2005, the deli still retains much of the typical delicatessen feel.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...that food looks divine. Talk about HUGE portions!

    I love quirky one off places like this. So much better than chain food places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moon cookie! Love it, love the sandwiches, am planning a trip to visit you right now just to go eat lunch there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was visiting my Mom yesterday and showed her some of my favorite blogs. Yours was one of them! Oh my goodness...I've got my nose pressed up against the computer screen trying in vain to inhale that Reuben! What I wouldn't give for a bite of that sandwich. Thanks for sharing your afternoon at a glorious shop. Happy Wednesday! :o)

    ReplyDelete