Thursday, March 3, 2011

Breakfast For Dinner...

Do you ever make breakfast for dinner?  We did last Saturday night - I think we all felt a little rebellious, or something.

We drove down to our favorite park looking for a little outdoor fun (and actually seeing if we could spot the beaver turned muskrat) - and realized it was maple sugaring weekend.  We arrived a little late to the event, but some of the displays were still set up.

they had some kids' activities - this was "what lives in a maple tree"

the tour we arrived too late for

the maple sap reducing


And, luckily, the merchandise was still for sale - we bought maple cotton candy and maple syrup.

$30 for 64 oz - I thought that was pretty reasonable


Kate "shoveling it in"

Rob was supposed to take a pic of my hands, not my huge forehead!

We kind of snuck up on the tour just in time for them to announce that it was time for the pancakes.  So, on the way home I asked if anyone wanted pancakes for dinner - someone asked, "can we do that"?  I responded with, "we can do anything we want to do"!  (isn't it great being an adult?)

I was torn - I had promised to make Shay's cinnamon bun pancakes - but I was also dying to make the recipe in the Pioneer Woman Cookbook.  I'm sorry, Shay, I'll make yours next time!

Okay, so anyway - the name of the recipe is Edna Mae's Sour Cream Pancakes.  Kind of has a nostalgic feel, doesn't it?  I wasn't sure what to expect, and when I started reading through the recipe I thought, "this seems weird".




Step 1: Place an iron skillet on medium-low heat



 
Step 2: Place 1 cup sour cream into mixing bowl.  Add 7T flour, 1T sugar, 1t baking soda and 1/2 t salt.  Mix gently until barely combined.



Step 3: Add 2 beaten eggs and 1/2t vanilla extract.  Stir together gently until just combined.  



Step 4: Melt 1T of butter into skillet.  Pour the batter into the skillet about 1/4 cup at a time.



Step 5: Flip after approximately 2 minutes.  


we also had some fresh fruit with our meal


I was skeptical - come on,  1 cup of sour cream to 7 tablespoons of flour? The batter was very thin at first, but it kind of thickened as it cooked [on the first side].  Our verdict - some of the best pancakes we've ever had!  I will be keeping sour cream in my refrigerator at all times (I usually do, but now I will, no matter what!).  These pancakes were light, fluffy, flavorful, and a perfect platform for our maple syrup.  We demolished all of the pancakes - I'll be doubling the recipe from now on! 


3 comments:

  1. Yay it's almost 7am here, guess what we're going to have for breakfast!
    Thanks for the very ti,e;y recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made them, they were so easy to make, and light and fluffy, thanks Kirsten, it's a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE pancakes and try different variations all the time. I'm going to try these too and I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete