Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Lone Winner....

Well, the good news is that we survived eating a meatless diet for ten days.  The bad news is that most of our meals were a huge disappointment.  I tried a few new recipes and there was one lone winner.

Veggie Enchiladas.  I mixed brown rice with sauteed portabellos, red peppers, jalapenos, and onions.  I mixed in lots of monterey jack, salsa, and cilantro.  I added smoked paprika, garlic powder, and diced chipotles.  The result was a spicy, creamy, and very satisfying meatless dinner.

I topped the stuffed tortillas with monterey jack and adobo sauce before baking


our toppings of choice were salsa and sour cream



We ended our meat fast on Saturday night.  Grilled flank steak has never.tasted.better.  I ate at least a half of a pound of beef and I loved every second of it.  Rob said to me, "I thought you didn't miss meat".  My response, "I lied".

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts. Funny that we've both turned out to be "foodies". We've come a long way from a box of pasta and cheese sauce in college, huh? I really like the idea of incorporating more meatless meals into our diet- healthier, cheaper, etc. We usually eat at least 2 a week. Some of our favorites- veggie chili, black bean burritos, lots of soups (though I usually cheat and use chicken stock), breakfast for dinner-- eggs in the form of frittata, omelet, scrambled or hash, risotto . . . mmmmm, now I'm getting hungry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hat is off to you and your family for trying this! I could never do it, I love meat too much. On the plus side, at least you found one new winning recipe, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock Kirsten ...I couldn't have done it (and I wonder how vegetarians do )

    Now that you've done this little experiment -I dont have to. Bless you.

    PS : Sweetie I would have eaten a whole cow after going meatless for that long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would eat the veggie enchiladas, Kirsten. They look delicious! As for your meat fast, it was very admirable. Growing up with a grandfather who was a cattle rancher and an uncle who was a dairy farmer, I have no inclination to be vegan. ;o) Hope that half-pound of beef was scrumptious! You go girl! :o)

    ReplyDelete