Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Deep Dish Pizza Pie

I think I may have cracked the code to organization.  For me, it has been a two-fold process:  the fact that my kids are older and my day planner.  I can remember my mom asking me if I thought I had ADD [when the kids were much younger].  I think my exact answer was, "no, I have three children".   Young children always need something.  When you increase the odds and try to raise three, you can count on the fact that your life will be in constant motion.

I can still remember sending Kate to school and thinking it was pajama day - it wasn't.  I vividly remember our preschool teachers shaking their heads at my lack of "togetherness" - forgetting snacks, lunches, picture day, etc.  It was bad.  

Our current stage in life continues to be hectic, but in a different way.  We are still "enjoying" the fact (read: sarcasm) that we have three different school schedules to manage, but I have the luxury of staying home full-time.  I can complete my work while the house is empty and then prepare for the barrage of chaos when we begin our evening. 

My day planner contains all of our sports practices, Rob's schedule, game times and locations, my cooking jobs, school reminders, and our meals.  The kids even look at it - but mostly to see what we're having for dinner!  I never thought I'd plan my meals, but it is nice to be able to plan out my grocery trips and not be running to the store every other day.

And now to the point of this whole story - the kids were excited to discover we were having deep-dish pizzas last night.  This is a repeat recipe - but one that bears repeating.  They are awesome.  Here is my original post, complete with recipe. 

I did tweak things a little from the original - I made the pizzas in two 9-inch cake pans instead of the mini dishes.  And, I made a pepperoni version and then one with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers.

front pizza layers: crust, pepperoni, provolone, mozzarella, Williams-Sonoma pizza seasonings

front pizza layers:  sauteed veggies, provolone, mozzarella, sliced ham, seasonings, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes

next step is to add sauce

fold the extra dough over and add parmesan

bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes
utter deliciousness

I'm not saying that I'm totally organized.  But, I'm getting there.  It's just nice not to forget everything.

4 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow wow wow!!! Question (and I'll come back to the comments section for the answer): I only have glass pie pans, will that effect the cooking? Will it be OK?

    I SPIT out water (for real, at my desk, onto my keyboard) when I read that you sent your daughter to school for pajama day and it wasn't!? That's a nightmare!!! I'll never forget reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're too hard on yourself. I forget things all the time and I don't have any kids at home! With thinking to do for 5 people occasionally something's going to fall by the wayside.

    I bet the kids LOVED that pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also forget stuff regularly and I only have one teenager to worry about.
    That pizza looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pizze looks amazing! It's cold and rainy here today, and this would be perfect! MMM!

    As for the organization, I do think it's easier to stay organized as the kids get older. You simply have more time to tidy things up because you're not chasing toddlers.

    If it makes you feel any better, I always forget things. In fact, I lost my wedding rings last week. Yikes! (I found them...thank goodness!)

    ReplyDelete