When I make a meatloaf meal, I made the traditional version for him, and a different one for the kids and I. Ours is filled with sauteed veggies, marinara sauce, and two different kinds of cheese.
1 lb ground beef
1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
4 slices bacon
1 T dijon mustard
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2t parsley, fresh or dried
1. Layer bacon slices on plate, top with carrots, onion, and garlic and microwave (covered) until bacon is crisp and veggies are cooked and browned slightly. Crumble bacon.
2. Mix vegetables and crisped bacon with the remaining ingredients. Top with more ketchup.
3. Place into a loaf pan or create a loaf in baking pan.
4. Bake, covered, at 375 for 40 minutes. Drain. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 15-20 minutes. Let meat loaf rest 5 minutes before serving.
Our meatloaf tastes a little like a noodle-less lasagna.
1 pound ground beef
1 small zucchini
10 small button mushrooms
1/2 red pepper
1 small onion, chopped coarsely
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 bag of spinach, frozen, completely thawed and drained
2 T olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
3/4 jar of marinara sauce (I use Barilla)
1. In a large saute pan, brown veggies in olive oil (zucchini, mushrooms, onion, garlic, pepper). The vegetables should be cut into similarly sized pieces to ensure even cooking time. Remove from heat and set aside when browned.
2. Mix meats, spinach, parmesan, bread crumbs, and eggs until well blended. Add veggies.
3. Put half of meat and veggie mixture on bottom of large loaf pan. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and half of the marinara sauce and repeat the procedure.
4. Cover the loaf with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until cooked through and browned on top (at least 25 more minutes).
Happy Favourite Thing Friday!