Friday, October 14, 2011

Favourite Thing Friday

I'm linking up with Shay over at Quilting in my Pyjamas today for Favourite Thing Friday.  Today's favourite is not mine - it's my husband's favorite meal, meatloaf.

When I make a meatloaf meal, I made the traditional version for him, and a different one for the kids and I.  Ours is filled with sauteed veggies, marinara sauce, and two different kinds of cheese. 

before baking

after baking
 

Traditional-style meatloaf



Meatloaf
1 lb ground beef
1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
4 slices bacon
1 T dijon mustard
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
2t parsley, fresh or dried

1. Layer bacon slices on plate, top with carrots, onion, and garlic and microwave (covered) until bacon is crisp and veggies are cooked and browned slightly. Crumble bacon.
2. Mix vegetables and crisped bacon with the remaining ingredients. Top with more ketchup.
3. Place into a loaf pan or create a loaf in baking pan.
4. Bake, covered, at 375 for 40 minutes. Drain. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 15-20 minutes. Let meat loaf rest 5 minutes before serving.


Our meatloaf tastes a little like a noodle-less lasagna.  

before baking

after baking

Italian-style meatloaf


Italian-Style Meatloaf
1 pound ground beef
1 small zucchini
10 small button mushrooms
1/2 red pepper
1 small onion, chopped coarsely
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 bag of spinach, frozen, completely thawed and drained
2 T olive oil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/3 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
3/4 jar of marinara sauce (I use Barilla)

1. In a large saute pan, brown veggies in olive oil (zucchini, mushrooms, onion, garlic, pepper). The vegetables should be cut into similarly sized pieces to ensure even cooking time. Remove from heat and set aside when browned.
2. Mix meats, spinach, parmesan, bread crumbs, and eggs until well blended. Add veggies.
3. Put half of meat and veggie mixture on bottom of large loaf pan. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and half of the marinara sauce and repeat the procedure.
4. Cover the loaf with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until cooked through and browned on top (at least 25 more minutes). 

Happy Favourite Thing Friday!

11 comments:

  1. I always make Ina's Individual Meatloaves, but I can't wait to try your Italian Meatloaf! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from Shay's FTF. I love finding two easy and delicious recipes of one dish in one spot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yum yum yum!!! In the 13 years I've known Brett, he's never taken a bite of a meatloaf. He's never wanted me to make it. He has hated it since childhood. I miss it! So... I think you might be able to break him of his fears with these recipes!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Rob on this one. Plain meatloaf all the way for me. But I have never thought about sticking bacon on the top so I'll give that a crack next time. Meatloaf is one of those good simple meals we all recall from childhood and I'm always happy to throw a bit of bacon on something.

    Leslie,Mr. P hasn't had corned beef since the day I moved in because I wont cook it. I was cured of that stuff in childhood. Blerk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Mum use to cook meatloaf, my hubby doesn't eat a wide variety of food so I have never attempted it and the kids are pretty picky as well. But I love Corned Beef and that usually comes out in winter unlike Shay I am not scared by my childhood meals Mum was a reasonable cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my I'm excited, we have Barilla here, pasta at least not sure about the sauce. BUT it's an exciting thing to not have to say, we don't get that here. Maybe that should have been my favourite this week!
    I usually grate vegetables into the meatloaf. I put in zucchini, carrot sometimes pumpkin/squash and mushrooms (chopped not grated) Spinach would be a nice addition. I won't be serving it to Shay though, lol. Or Corned Beef, or Ice Cream..............oh no what am I going to feed her?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny it is my Husbands favourite too. Your versions look so Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my... I am HUNGRY. This looks DELICIOUS! I love your meatloaf (and you, too)!

    Love,

    Your Hubby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love meatloaf. I'm a traditionalist but your veggie-laden version may just convert me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy! maybe I should try to make a different type of meatloaf one day! I should at least try adding the bacon.

    ReplyDelete