Monday, February 8, 2010

Porchetta

I feel the need to repeat a post. I know I've mentioned before my seasonal approach to eating. There are certain times of the year that I crave different foods. In the summer I always seems to want fresh produce, grilled everything, and lighter fare all around. In the fall I crave root vegetables, pumpkin, and holiday food. In the winter I crave citrus, soups, stews, heavy foods, and warmth. In the spring I crave spinach, asparagus, strawberries, and salads. There are a few things, however, that transcend my seasonal stirrings. Pierogies, potatoes, bread, cheese, and porchetta are just a few of those things. I know I've mentioned porchetta in a previous post, but since I've started photographing some of my exploits I'd like to show you a picture. Now, I realize that I've shared how I'm trying to eat healthier, but sometimes I'll reward myself with a splurge meal if I've done well all day. Porchetta isn't necessarily unhealthy, but I've yet to find it's nutritional merits. The best way to serve it is the way I have pictured: crusty buttered french bread, lots of pork juice, and a thick slab of extra-sharp cheddar. We also have adapted the porchetta to make it a "cuban sandwich", including dill pickles, ham, swiss, and spicy mustard. Please trust me, if you make this, you will love it and crave it during any season the way I do.




Porchetta
pork butt
1/4 cup olive oil
3 T herbes de provence
1 T garlic powder
2 T kosher salt
lots of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup water

1. Marinate the meat by sprinkling dry spices and drizzling olive oil over the top of the meat [for at least five hours].
2. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for at least three hours.
3. After removing the meat from the oven, shred into desired chunks. Top a buttered crusty roll with a good portion of meat and a good portion of the juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment