Saturday, September 25, 2010

Asian Lettuce Wraps

For you and your hubby, Mrs. P!

I found this recipe while checking out the Martha Stewart Living website.  I occasionally peruse her appetizer slideshow for ideas. Mini Chicken Lettuce Wraps was listed as an advertisement teaser for the "Whole Living" section of her publications. 

I did tweak the recipe just a bit to add some extra flavor.  The only challenging part of this simple recipe was a way to translate them into appetizer form.  I painstakingly tied each lettuce wrap with chives from my garden.  It was terribly annoying.  Once I had used all of the chives I could find, I simply placed the remaining lettuce wraps into cupcake papers.  The chives looked a lot prettier, though!

I think this would make a very tasty and light dinner, especially for the warmer months of the year.   I omitted the fresh cilantro as I find it to be a very strong herb.  I've decided that about half of the population really detest the flavor.  Personally, I think it would add just the right "zip" to the lettuce wrap.  If I had been making this for myself, I would have added it for sure!

Asian Lettuce Wraps (adapted from Whole Living from Martha Stewart) 

  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
  • 1 cucumber, seeded, peeled, and chopped
  • 2 T toasted sesame seeds
  • 1/2 green mango, peeled and cut into matchsticks
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 3 thin chicken cutlets (about 3 ounces each)
  • 24 small leaves Bibb lettuce, from about 3 heads (3 ounces each)
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Directions

  1. In a medium bowl, stir vinegar, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt until sugar is dissolved. Add carrot, cucumber, sesame seeds, and mango; toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature, tossing occasionally, at least 30 minutes, or refrigerate up to a day.
  2. Heat grill or grill pan to high; lightly oil grates. In a shallow dish, combine lime juice, ginger, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Add chicken and let marinate for no more than 5 minutes. Grill chicken until browned and opaque throughout, 1 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate to cool.
  3. Thinly slice chicken; toss with carrot mixture. Divide mixture among lettuce leaves; drizzle with juice from carrots and sprinkle with cilantro. 

**I added sesame seeds, cucumber, and sesame oil for a little extra flavor, and omitted the cilantro**

1 comment: