Friday, September 10, 2010

Favourite Things Friday


Thanks to my friend, Mrs P, I have joined her concept for Favourite Things Friday.

I have many favorite things, but since this is a cooking blog, I'll share my favorite chocolate cake recipe. For some reason, I only make cakes in the fall and winter - so, once the weather turned a little cooler I found myself hungry for this moist treat.

I love the simplicity of adding all of the ingredients at once and mixing for two minutes. The chocolate frosting I always add is equally simple - five ingredients that are mixed smooth and you're finished!

This is a perfect fall-weather treat - make it this weekend!

Aunt Sue's Chocolate Cake

1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix ingredients and beat for 2 minutes. Bake in a 9x13 pan for 30 minutes or until center springs back up when touched lightly.


Chocolate frosting

3/4 cup cocoa
4 cups powdered sugar
7 T butter, softened
3 T milk
1 tsp vanilla

[using a hand-mixer] Mix above ingredients until smooth and spreadable, adding more milk or sugar as needed.

11 comments:

  1. Yum and thanks for sharing the recipe. I need another dessert recipe in my arsenal like I need a hole in my head.

    Well, okay, actually, I ALWAYS need dessert recipes, I just try not to use them that often but I AM looking forward to trying this for a belated birthday cake for DH. He's always wishing for a moist chocolate cake. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is lots of sugar in that cake. Looks yummy though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I've been making this cake for at least 13 years. I try to exercise regularly simply so I can eat what I want.

    I'll be honest, while this is a moist cake, there is no comparison to those naughty box cakes :) I have not yet found a cake recipe to rival the artificial deliciousness of the Betty Crocker cake mix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent had breakfast yet and I'm now contemplating how wrong it would REALLY be to have cake.

    This looks so yummy. And, you are never mingy with the cocoa in your recipes. I'm a firm believer in making things as chocolate-y as I can. Maybe that's why I end up making a lot of things you post about.

    So just plain white sugar? And what kind of oil do you use? I want to make this over the weekend.

    Thanks for sharing for FTF. I'm totally blaming you if I start putting on weight -since you've started posting recipes again ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kirs-my favorite thing once the days start to cool down is a big pot of chili-in fact, I think I'll stop at the grocery tomorrow on my way home from work & get the stuff to mix up a batch-will be good after watching the IA/IA ST FOOTBALL GAME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs P - just plain old white sugar and canola oil is what I use, but you could use vegetable oil if that's what you have on hand. I do feel a little silly posting a recipe while everyone else on your link posted these meaningful family heirlooms!! Oh, well - maybe next week I'll redeem myself :)

    Jean - I bet you're super excited about the game! We just had chili last night - the kids love it, especially over baked potatoes with melted cheddar, sour cream, and fresh chives!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yum! Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting is one of my favorites too, even tho I have to go the gluten and dairy free route these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious--no wonder it is a favorite! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm a lovely chocolate cake, I love that you post recipes as your favourite things, thanks for sharing the recipe. You can never have enough chocolate cake recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P - do you use almond flour and soy milk? Have you checked out Elana's Pantry? She has tons of gluten-free recipes and a cookbook.

    By the way, Mrs P - a reliable source informed me that the cake tastes great for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmm! That looks amazing. I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks for a really great FTF share.

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete