Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Baked Oatmeal with Peaches

Have you ever had baked oatmeal? It is so, so yummy. I especially like to add raisins to it - reminds me of an oatmeal cookie. I am not usually very fond of the typical oatmeal, I think it's a textural thing. I hadn't heard of baked oatmeal before we visited some friends in New Hampshire. She is Mennonite and had a cookbook that included a lot of family style foods. Because there is such a large Mennonite population in our tri-county area, some of our foods are quite similar. After we enjoyed it with our friends in New Hampshire I came home and found a recipe in my Brethren cookbook. We typically enjoy this dish in the winter, warmed and topped with milk.

But then.....I saw this recipe. Fruit on the bottom of baked oatmeal. We are still enjoying a plethora of juicy, sweet, firm, and delectable peaches. I buy mine from the seconds basket - $2.95/half peck. We usually have to buy more every few days or so. The recipe was super-simple, utilizing ingredients I always keep on hand. I took this to a brunch this morning, but I'm planning on making it for our weekend cabin trip - and we will eat it warm with milk for breakfast!



* ¾ cups Butter, Divided
* 1-½ cup Thinly Sliced Fruit*
* 4 Tablespoons Sugar Divided
* ½ cups Milk
* ⅔ cups brown sugar
* 2 whole Large Eggs
* 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
* 2 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
* 2-½ teaspoons Baking Powder
* ¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
* ½ teaspoons Salt


Preparation Instructions

*Peaches, pears and apples are good choices. If using apples, make sure to slice them thinly or they will be crunchy.

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Melt butter; pour 1/4 cup into the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish. Arrange sliced fruit on top of the butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together milk, brown sugar, eggs, remaining 1/2 cup butter and vanilla.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour over the fruit and smooth the top.
4. Bake at 350°F for 40 to 50 minutes, or until browned on top and fruit is bubbly. Allow to cool slightly. Serve with milk, cream or vanilla sauce.

I adapted this recipe from Erica Lea on the Tasty Kitchen Blog, courtesy of the fabulous Pioneer Woman. I omitted some of the more obscure ingredients, instead replacing them with sugar, brown sugar, and regular milk.

Here is the original post and recipe, if you're interested.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!

    Kim really likes your background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We bake oatmeal (which is actually called oats here ) into slices sometimes but I've never seen it done like this. I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete