Friday, October 8, 2010

Favourite Thing Friday

is my best friend.

Rob and I first met back in 1988.   It was summer camp at Harvey Cedars in Long Beach Island, New Jersey.  I was cool, he was dorky, you get the drill.  just kidding.  But, he was into that whole craze of making yourself pass out by hyperventilating.  Did any of your friends ever do that?  It was pretty lame.  And, I had eyes for someone else.

Fast forward to eleventh grade.  Rob started attending my youth group and I thought he was really cute.

We started dating almost immediately and had a lot of fun. 

circa 1995, Rob's senior prom
We headed off to the same college where I can best describe our relationship as rocky.  My friends are all nodding their heads now, I know.  I think we were "on a break" more than we were dating.  We were silly and immature - I was suffocating, he was immature.  I think I knew I wanted to marry him when we were still in high school (as ridiculous as that sounds), and I just couldn't give him space.  For some reason, though, we were always drawn back together.  Some of it, probably, was the familiarity we had with each other - but mostly, I think, was God's work in our lives (in the midst of our immature behavior and bad decisions).

We were twenty years old and juniors in college when we realized we were expecting Josh.  We were married over Christmas break and we officially started our life together.  Looking back, I realize how stressful the situation was, but as the saying goes, "you gotta do what you gotta do".  Rob worked very very hard to finish college while I stayed home with Josh.

June 1998, one month before Josh was born, and 53 lbs heavier!

Josh was one day old here

We were young, but we had each other and I'm beyond thankful to say that it all worked out.  I realize we probably have defied most statistics and I attribute that to a loving God and prayerful families - truly.

Fast forward twelve years of marriage, four subsequent pregnancies, and two additional healthy children later - and here we are.



Rob is truly my best friend.  We have a very intense relationship - we have very strong personalities (both being a first-born), and we either get along famously or clash totally.  We are polar opposites, but it works.  I feel like we don't see each other nearly enough, but the day will come when it will be just us in this house.  I will miss the kids, but I can't wait either.  I look forward to the day when we can travel, read the paper on the back porch, plan our days together, and just live a simpler life.  I love our life now, Rob is a terrific dad and we have three wonderful, wonderful children.  I simply wanted to explain that unlike some couples who only have their children in common - we'll be just fine as empty nesters.

Rob is hardworking.  He is loving.  He is patient.  He is generous.  He's my best friend and my favourite person in the whole world.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What a wonderful tribute.

    In my opinion, many people expect relationships to be easy, and when they're not, they give up. Your post shows that relationships take work, they require nurturing, they require mutual respect--even when you clash--they don't just happen.

    You two are very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I love you have a best friend who will play dolls with you (or the kids, whichever. lol)

    I'm glad you have such a great relationship and friend in your husband. It's beautiful to see a glimpse into it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post. I agree with Michelle, it is all too easy to not work at a marriage and give up, I have seen far too many of them. I love it when I see couples who have had their share of ups and downs have a relationship that becomes even stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute to Rob and your special relationship - thank you for sharing! I look forward to each of your Friday entries :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!

    Do you have any idea that in your tribute of your husband in this post you just made ME love you both all the more. Seriously.

    Yes you did defy the odds. But it was actually pre-ordained that way. The respect and love you have for each other is obvious. Yep - you'll be fine no matter what life throws at you both because you're a team.

    Great FTF post Kirsten. (Waving @ Rob the wonderful too !)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great FTF post. It totally made me smile.

    xo -El

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blessed girl you are, and what a lovely post you've written! Your words speak volumes of your love. Thanks for sharing. Happy FTF! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks so much, everyone! We certainly don't have a perfect relationship, but that's what marriage and love are - loving when you sometimes don't feel like it!

    Thanks for starting Favourite Things Friday, Mrs P
    We all look forward to it!!

    ReplyDelete