Thursday, October 28, 2010

I Love Minute Steaks

Last week I made "Philly Cheesesteak" sandwiches for dinner.  My whole family loved them and I agreed they were pretty tasty.  As is typical for me, if I discover a new flavor I tend to make it over and over.  For further proof, exhibit #1, rhubarb custard pie - I made this pie about six times last spring and have the high cholesterol to prove it.  I then moved on to exhibit #2, slow-roasted tomatoes - healthier, and I used them for pizza, pasta, fish, and crostini with goat cheese.  I've had many obsessions since then, but I think my latest might be minute steaks. 

First of all, what could be better than thin-sliced steaks?  As the name implies, they cook in a short amount of time, and it turns out that the possibilities for their use are endless. 

Tonight we had pasta with bolognese sauce.  Instead of ground beef (which I actually loathe), minute steaks were a perfect addition.  One of my first posts, last September (2009) detailed the recipe.  I substituted the steaks for the ground beef, added a little bit of bacon and I think I've found a new favorite recipe! 


 


Pasta with Bolognese Sauce (adapted from the Pioneer Woman Cooks)

Bolognese Sauce

1 lb ground beef or 1 lb minute steaks, sliced
2 medium carrots, pretty finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
5 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
12 button mushrooms
1 jar pasta sauce (I use Barilla marinara, usually)
2/3 cup dry red wine
1 cup milk
parmesan


1. In a large stockpot, brown ground beef for 3 minutes on medium heat. Push meat to the outside of the pan, creating a well, and add the carrots, bacon, salt, pepper, and onion, sauteeing for 3 minutes.
2. Add garlic and mushrooms and brown for 2 minutes. Stir all together and add red wine, taking care to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
3. Add pasta sauce and stir. Cover the stockpot and simmer on low for 4o minutes.
4. Add milk and recover to simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
5. Add desired amount of parmesan cheese and serve with cooked pasta, your choice and shape.

3 comments:

  1. You can't have enough good bolognese recipes, this looks great. When my daughter was younger and wouldn't eat vegetables I used to grate carrots and zucchini into the bolognese sauce.
    Why don't you like ground beef?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it might be the smell when it's cooking - don't get me wrong, I love burgers, but that's about it in the ground beef realm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspired by you as usual...I did steak sandwiches last night ...took regular pepper steaks and pounded the crud out of them with a mallet and added cheese and bacon to the toasted bread. Delicious.

    Now - what am I doing for dinner tonight? I'm waiting for you to post something so I know what to drag out of the freezer. (No cornish hens here unfortunately)

    ReplyDelete