1. I just discovered the perfect breakfast - oatmeal with mashed banana, peanut butter, and a drizzle of maple syrup. I usually don't enjoy oatmeal, but I'm looking for a way to keep myself feel full for longer - I'll keep you posted if it works.
2. I got sucked into Sister Wives on TLC last night. For those of you not familiar with the convoluted system of American reality TV, this show follows a plural family. Kody Brown has four wives and thirteen biological children. This will be the first and last time I watch this nonsense - but I couldn't help watching, it was like a train wreck. I remarked to Rob, "can you imagine having to deal with the emotions and hormones of four wives instead of just one"? What is this guy thinking?
3. Note to self: don't drink a beer before making dinner. We were supposed to have: grilled flank steak, mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, fresh lima beans in cream, and caramel apples for dessert.
The limas were pretty delish - how can you mess up something that's simmered in cream?
flank steak was so tough, I swear we had to chew it for 20 minutes. We actually joked that it was not caloric because we burned so many calories chewing it. I guess it wasn't really my fault - but we sure laughed a lot throughout our dinner!
4. I love, love, love a clean house. I find myself with a naturally better outlook on life when I can walk through my house and feel like it's clean and well-organized. The corner of our bedroom has been the "staging" area for our master bathroom for a few years and it has been clutter-free for a whole week!
5. We are officially "out" of butter - does anyone else go through food as fast as we do?
6. I helped feed our elementary school teachers last week - several moms worked together to pull off a great meal for the 25 teachers -
beef tenderloin with mushrooms and madeira wine sauce
mixed greens with butternut squash, cranberries, goat cheese, and maple vinaigrette
beef veggie soup
crab and corn chowder
cream of mushroom soup - I'll be making this soon and posted a recipe - to.die.for.
roasted carrots and parsnips
total cost = $245 (I love BJ's Wholesale Club)
(we had desserts and drinks that were donated by other moms)
7. I totally lost 3/4 lb of sliced sweet bologna. I am very upset about this - I have craved this stupid bologna time and time again this weekend. Rob thought maybe it fell behind our veggie crisper drawer in our upstairs refrigerator. This was a bad thing - he removed the drawers in our refrigerator. It was ugly We found: two containers of yogurt(a year old), flax seed oil (at least a year old), a fork, and a tupperware container of hot fudge or balsamic bbq sauce (not sure which). Rob was quite disappointed that he didn't find any of his missing socks back there. Seriously. :)
8. I'm making cheesesteak sandwiches for dinner tonight - can't wait. Maybe I'll make the cream of mushroom soup to go with it!