Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Be Warned.....

Since this usually works so well for my kids, I'm going to challenge you to try something new....plus, I'm really tired of calling my insurance company and talking about "pos" codes, (I have my own little theory about what that actually stands for) out of network visits, deductibles, etc.

Yesterday I went to the butcher shop (a family farm that also raises fruits and vegetables) and stocked up on some "undesirables": cabbage, eggplant, turnips, parsnips, butternut squash, and lima beans. I'm assuming that each one of you is under the impression that you hate at least one of these items. I would like to challenge you to try one of these veggies.



Over the next few days I will post a few recipes starring this cast of characters.



Today: Lima beans in cream

I know what you're thinking, "that sounds fattening"...maybe, but the truth is, you only need to use a small amount of naturally occuring fats to achieve a very tasty result. The result in this instance, is tender and creamy deliciousness. I found this recipe on "orangette", and I believe her inspiration was Edna Lewis. I think she also uses the same technique for brussels sprouts.



Lima Beans in Cream (courtesy of "orangette" and Edna Lewis)
1 1/2 qts fresh or frozen lima beans (peeled or thawed, respectively)
enough water to boil
1/8 cup heavy cream
2 T butter
salt, pepper



1. Boil lima beans in a covered saucepan for about 20minutes, or until tender. I used fresh limas and would suggest this if possible.

2. Drain lima beans and place back into saucepan. Add heavy cream, butter, salt, and pepper and heat through until butter is melted and lima beans are silky and creamy (about 3 minutes).



stay tuned for: "fall butternut-spice pancakes", "sauteed cabbage with bacon", "penne with roasted eggplant, mushroom, and fresh tomato sauce", "roasted parsnip chips", and "turnip gratin". I really hope you discover that you actually like trying new things and that it is worth the extra effort to buy local!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm going out on a limb making cauliflower for dinner. Now you want me to make lima beans!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be looking for what you do with cabbage! ☺

    ReplyDelete