Monday, September 14, 2009

Cheeseburgers and Tomato Bisque

There are very few dinners that we (the kids) all like. I make cheeseburgers fairly often, they are great to prepare ahead of time and you can just grill them when you need them. I have made them a few different ways, and this is one of my favorites.

The tomato bisque is the easiest soup I make, and even tomato haters may not hate it (I have two in my house, and they both like it). It is an adaptation from my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook (the one I learned to cook from as a new wife...at the ripe old age of 21).

Because we had two soccer practices tonight, we had peaches as a side. I freeze applesauce, peaches, corn and green beans [in the summer] to use as a quick side dish in the busy fall months and cold winter months!


Cheeseburgers

1 1/2 lbs of ground chuck
1 pkg french onion soup mix
2T dried parsley
4 slices bacon, crisped and crumbled, plus the grease :)
pepper
1T worchestire sauce
pinch of cayenne pepper

1. Mix all ingredients and form into patties. Should make four to five generously-sized patties.
2. Grill over medium-high heat until fully cooked, top with cheese--any kind you like!
***also great, putting blue cheese or cheddar cheese in the middle of the patty***



Tomato Bisque

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
4 T butter
2 t olive oil
1 T paprika
1 T dried basil
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups milk or heavy cream
1 can progresso hearty tomato soup

1. Cook onion, garlic, oil, and butter in saucepan over medium heat until onions and garlic are transclucent.
2. Add cream cheese, spices and milk and stir until smooth (I sometimes use a small whisk).
3. Add soup, stir, and serve. Sometimes I'll add chopped fresh tomato if I have some that need to be used. If you add fresh tomato, cook soup over low heat for at least 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment