Friday, February 17, 2012

Favourite Thing Friday

My favorite thing this Friday is trying new recipes!  To find out what Mrs. P's favorite thing is this week, head over to Quilting in my Pyjamas.

I am trying a new recipe for dinner tonight - this. 

I found the recipe on Pinterest, and I only needed to use about 1/2 can of coconut milk.  Because I wanted to use the remaining coconut milk, I did a google search.  I found Emeril's recipe for coconut cream pie. 

I remembered that Rob really enjoyed coconut cream pie at a cool restaurant when we were in Florida - so I decided to make one!  The recipe called for whole milk, but I substituted in the remaining coconut milk for part of the milk in the recipe.

The jury is still out on whether or not either of these recipes will be a hit - but it was really fun mixing new ingredients and anticipating how they will taste!  I'll keep you posted.

For now, here are some pictures of the fun I've had this afternoon!  

custard filling with toasted coconut

my blind-baked pie crust

the two components of my pie: custard and meringue topping

just waiting for the meringue

there it is!

before baking

and....after!

I hope it tastes as good as it looks!

7 comments:

  1. Im always glad when you try new recipes because it usually means I do too!

    Im sure the pie will taste fantastic. (Your meringue is so evenly browned!) Ive never made one of those. Be sure to let us know your thoughts.

    The chicken recipe looks so yummy..I'm sitting here thinking about it for a mid week dinner next week. I love lime.

    Thanks for sharing these for FTF Kirsten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pie sounds fantastic and looks it too. Looking forward to the verdicts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice favorite. how did it taste? it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coconut cream pie. Your's looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to your hesitancy in trying new combinations, but I'm going to try the lime and coconut chicken. And coconut pie--hmmm, my favorite. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is Yum, yum,and more yum! Love knowing there are wonderful cooks out there unlike me.

    ReplyDelete