Monday, June 6, 2011

Betty Crocker's Pound Cake

I once heard that in certain portions of the US, everyone has their own pound cake recipe.  Apparently, according to my source, these recipes are closely guarded secrets.  The recipe I've been using since we've been married is from my trusted Betty Crocker Cookbook

You are more than welcome to use this recipe as your pound cake.   Share the recipe, or guard it with your life - I won't tell, and Betty won't either. 


2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup butter, tsp vanilla, 5 eggs

3 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 cup evaporated milk

beat on high speed for 5 minutes


pour into two loaf pans or one bundt pan

bake for 55-60 minutes, then allow too cool

serve with hot fudge, whipped cream, and fresh strawberries

Pound Cake (courtesy of the New Betty Crocker Cookbook)

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
5 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk or evaporated milk

1.  Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease bottom and sides of two loaf pans or one bundt pan.
2.  Beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and eggs on low speed for 30 seconds.  Beat on high speed 5 minutes.  Mix flour, baking powder and salt.  Beat flour mixture into sugar mixture alternately with milk on low speed. 
3.  Bake loaf pans for 55 to 60 minutes; bundt pan 1 hour 10 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. 
4.  Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. 

3 comments:

  1. I love pound cake and have been thinking about baking one. You've inspired me to do just that...though it will have to wait until late tonight. It's already too hot here!

    PS...Your BC Cookbook is obviously well-loved. I can tell by the crinkled pages! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pound cake. It's a very American recipe since I've trawled through vintage Aussie cookbooks and never seen anything quite like it.

    That picture is making me very very hungry for cake (again!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely looking pound cake. Those strawberries and whipped cream make it look even more awesome. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-21.html

    ReplyDelete