Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Foccacia

With my herb pot growing like gangbusters, foccacia bread is the perfect doughy treat.

basil, chives, parsley, cilantro, and two errant tomato plants

This recipe is another winner, courtesy of the New Betty Crocker Cookbook.  Whip up a batch to dip in the creamy tomato bisque.  

Foccacia (courtesy of Betty Crocker's New Cookbook)

2 1/2 to 3 cups flour
2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 pkg yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup warm water (120-130 degrees)
olive oil
2T dried or fresh herbs (I used fresh oregano, basil, and parsley)
ground parmesan

1. Mix 1 cup of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl. Add 1/4 cup oil and water. Beat in a stand mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes, scraping down sides occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour until dough is soft and leaves sides of bowl.
2. Replace paddle with dough hook. Continue adding flour, if necessary, and allow mixer to knead for 8-10 minutes, or until dough is elastic.
3. Place in greased bowl and allow dough to rise (in warm place, and covered) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Dough will double.
4. Punch down dough. Create desired shape (I made one large round bread). Cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
5. Prick the center of the shapes with a fork, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with desired toppings. (possibilities: sauteed peppers and onions, parmesan cheese and herbs, olives, etc)
6. Bake 12-15 minutes at 425 degrees or until golden brown.




 On a side note:  I don't think any of our garden veggies will be lasting long enough to come inside.  Emma discovered me picking sugar peas. 









How can I say no to this face?  Those sugar peas are gone like a freight train!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to give your recipe a go on the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes! (I still think it looks fluffier than mine)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this recipe along with the soup for dinner tonight! Thanks Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great recipe Kirsten. I'm trying to cut out bread at the moment, or if I was being completely honest it's more like reducing the amount as opposed to completely cutting it out. Anyway, I won't be making it, but at least I know where to find a great Foccacia recipe when I need one.

    ReplyDelete