Thursday, June 30, 2011

Black Raspberries

Last week I had the opportunity to pick black raspberries at a friends farm.  Her husband is working hard to plant fruits and vegetables in order for them to be self-sustaining.  The only problem is that he just bought 50 more raspberry bushes.  One woman, two kids under seven, and 75 raspberry bushes.  Even though I still feel like she was doing me the favor, it seemed she was pretty glad to see these berries go to a good home.  Thanks, Danielle!








Since then we've been enjoying the raspberries on ice cream, on yogurt, and our favorite - with vanilla pudding and whipped cream. 

Vanilla Pudding (adapted from the New Betty Crocker Cookbook)
1/3 cup sugar
2 T cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla

1.  mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in saucepan.  Gradually stir in milk. 
2.  cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.  Boil for one minute.
3.  remove from heat.  stir in vanilla. 
4.  chill and serve with fresh berries and freshly whipped cream.

3 comments:

  1. Oh.My.Golly! That looks fabulously delicious. I know what I'm making this afternoon. Now if only I had the raspberries in my backyard. ☺ Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of black raspberries.

    But oh my goodness they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of black raspberries either. I'm not a fan of raspberries but I bet I'm going to be a fan of that Vanilla Pudding.

    ReplyDelete