Thursday, June 2, 2011

I love breaking the rules....

I know, that's not really news - but I love when my kids ask, "what's for dinner" and I answer, "strawberry shortcake".  Usually reserved for dessert, I still remember having strawberry shortcake for dinner once a year when I was little. 



I tried to make my own shortcake dough and it was a little disappointing - if you're smart, you'll bite the bullet and just buy a box of Bisquick.  Sometimes it just tastes better when you break the rules.  Cheaters win in this case. 

I picked these beauties at J-Mar Farms on Tuesday morning

we serve our shortcake warm with milk

Lastly, I have a little question for all of you out there:  Do you save the best bite for last?  Do you plan out to have at least one strawberry for your last bite?  Do you make sure you have icing for your last bite of cake?  Do you save the best bite of pie, cake, or meat for the ending note?

I am very conscious of every bite of food I enjoy.  Rob thinks I'm a total wack-a-doodle.  He just eats.  No thinking.  No planning.  Sometimes he'll finish his shortcake and not even have any strawberries left.  So, who's the rule-breaker - me or him? 

5 comments:

  1. I can't say that I'm conscious of every bite; however, I have my moments. :o) I've been known to order dessert first, and by the way, I don't save the icing on the cake. I usually only eat the icing. Is there anything better than buttercream icing? I think not!

    Your dinner looks scrumptious. I believe we'll be giving this a try in the Seams Inspired kitchen very soon!

    Happy Thursday! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good. Funny you should ask about how to eat it. My family thinks I'm a bit strange (for lack of better word) as I eat one bite of each thing on my plate and it all ends up with one bite of each left. Jim used to think it was so funny to try to eat off my plate to "throw me off"!!. Not funny. (they eat all of one thing, then the next....) Hmmm. How about you?

    Aunt Ilene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes yes yes! Always have to save the best for last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirsten I was only thinking of shortcake about 8 hours before you posted! Freaky..

    I always plan for my last bite to be something special - a choice mouthful of steak, cake with a huge dob of icing , frog cake head full of cream ...you are so not a wack a doodle.

    Sometimes I just have dessert for dinner too...I think you're completely normal and I bet your kids love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one comment to add... take it as you may....

    The statistics on sanity say that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're OK, then it's you.

    ReplyDelete