Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Maryland-Style Crabcakes

After discovering that our refrigerator had officially kicked the bucket, I started carrying all of our food to the downstairs refrigerator.  We went shopping for a new refrigerator last night and ordered one that will be delivered on Friday.  Which means - I'll be running up and down the steps every time I need something that needs refrigeration.  Is it obnoxious that I want to chronicle how many times (between now and Friday) that I travel up and down the steps?

Thankfully, I made these crabcakes while I still had the luxury of having a working refrigerator in my kitchen.




Maryland-style Crabcakes (recipe courtesy of Phillips crabmeat)


6-8 cakes 20 min 5 min prep

16 ounces crabmeat (preferably blue crab backfin)
2 eggs
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 teaspoons mustard
3 teaspoons melted butter
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or any other similar seafood seasoning)
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs

1. Pick through crabmeat and discard all cartilage segments.
2. Mix remaining ingredients into crabmeat and refrigerate for 1 hr.
3. In oven-proof dish, sprinkle breadcrumbs. Form crabcakes patties and place into breadcrumbs. Sprinkle additional breadcrumbs on top. Place a pat of butter and additional seafood seasoning on top, if desired.
4. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until browned and crispy on top.

4 comments:

  1. Love it, love it. Between this and the roast, I might have to revise this week's menu! Thanks for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I just want to jump through your blog and snag a crabcake! I've never tried to make crabcakes, but I'm thinking I'll work some crab meat into our budget next week. ;o)

    Sorry to hear about the fridge. And no, it's not obnoxious to wax poetic about your many trips up and down the stairs. :o) What kind of fridge did you purchase? Freezer on top or bottom? One of those fancy French door models?

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmmm crabcakes...I may have to think about looking for crab meat.

    I'd love to know how many times you trudge up and down the stairs. On the up side it's a good cardio workout.(You need an esky in the kitchen full of ice)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Shay, it's good exercise,even though it's totally annoying. Of course your fridge would die in summer not in winter.
    Those crab cakes look delicious. Unfortunately we can't get Old Bay Spice here, I know I've tried. What would be a good substitute?

    ReplyDelete