Friday, November 20, 2009

Boys are Weird and one more side dish...

Two nights ago we were spending time together as a family. Okay, not really, but we were all in the living room together. Rob and Josh were side by side on the sofa on their respective laptops, I was in the armchair on my laptop, and the girls were playing school on the floor. The boys spent over two hours searching for the perfect air soft gun. The neighbor boys just bought a "sick" air-soft gun and Josh was desperate to find something equally painful. No kidding, one of the testimonials said that the gun was so powerful it made their friend cry. Moms of small boys, don't kid yourself - your little boy will not always be sweet and innocent. Don't get me wrong, Josh is a sweet kid, he is just a typical boy. For that I am thankful!

There is quite the difference, though, between our kids. The girls play library, school, they carry around babies and stuffed animals, and pretend to talk to their "boyfriends" on their cell phones. Josh arranges wars with the neighbors, stalks our resident chipmunk with his bb gun, and has one minute phone conversations with his best friend.

What I find hilarious is that we as adults are just as different. I love this story I'm about to tell you. I really couldn't find a better illustration if I tried. Anyone who knows me well will probably have already heard this story and I apologize. It's simply too perfect not to retell. A few years ago we had some visiting family from Colorado. They brought some recent family pictures from Christmas and a small vacation they'd taken with siblings, parents, cousins, etc. The women, of course, all excitedly flipped through the photos, oohing and aahing over the darling children and how fast they'd grown. There were pictures of each member of the extended family and the women stopped to comment on a picture of Rob's uncle. We noticed how he's gotten new glasses that "made him look younger", and "oh, my, his hair is really turning gray".

Well, believe it or not, the guys did want to look at the pictures, but not to ooh and ahh over the babies and Christmas decorations. They flipped immediately to the picture of Rob's uncle (not to point out his new glasses or grey hair). No, the reason they flipped to that picture is that said uncle was holding his new Christmas present. It was an AK-47 (a large automatic rifle for those of you who don't have husbands well-versed in our 2nd amendment). Okay, let me spell it out for you. Uncle C was holding a gun larger that life and the women didn't even notice! How different we all are and how thankful I am that we were made that way. :)

The recipe I want to share today is completely unrelated to this little story. But, I do love this recipe. It would be perfect on your Thanksgiving table, Christmas table, or even Easter. It is savory, creamy, and utterly delicious. My father-in-law about went crazy over it when I made it for Easter a few years ago. The original recipe calls for a condensed cream soup, but I've discovered a good white sauce can permanently replace these sodium-laden soups.

I hope you have the chance to make this in the next month....you'll love it!


French Onions
2-3 large sliced onions
5T butter, divided
3T flour
1/2 lb swiss
3/4 cup milk
2T fresh thyme
salt, pepper (1/2 tsp each)
1 T soy sauce
croutons

1. Saute sliced onions in 2T butter until starting to soften. Pour into baking dish. Top with shredded cheese.
2. In same pan, melt additional 3T butter. Add 3T flour and stir until smooth. Slowly add milk until thick and smooth. Add salt and pepper. Add thyme.
3. Mix with soy sauce and pour over onions.
4. Top with croutons. I like the dark ones, but you could always make your own if you have some old french bread laying around.
5. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment