Monday, November 9, 2009

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

We are a family of voracious meat-eaters. It is quite rare that we enjoy a meal without some type of meat. I feel like our diet is balanced, and my goal in meal preparation is to please the palate of our family while also incorporating a variety of nutritious components. That said, I know many people who have limited their red meat intake and experienced a beneficial result. We're just not there yet (I'm not sure we ever will be...sometimes I choose enjoyment over health).

One of our favorite meals is shredded beef enchiladas. For some reason, when we travel to our cabin I always make these. Because the kitchen is even smaller than the one in my home, it's easier to make meals ahead of time (plus, it's more enjoyable to be outside than to be slaving away in the kitchen). These enchiladas freeze well, travel well, and taste great even days after you've made them. The filling is very versatile and I've included yellow rice, black beans, lime zest, and various other ingredients and always liked the result. Aside from the cook time for the roast, this dish comes together very quickly.

I will share with you the basic recipe and you can improvise however you think your family would prefer. I usually buy an arm roast from my butcher shop. I really like how it shreds, but I'm sure you could easily substitute your favorite beef roast. I rarely use my crockpot, but I have, on occasion, used it to prepare the beef for this recipe. I definitely would cook the roast on high for most of the day in order to achieve full "shredding" potential. I require a tender and shredded result, I'm just not found of cubed near-tender meat [in this dish].

Shredded Beef Enchiladas
2 lb arm roast
1/2 jar salsa
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground black pepper
flour tortillas
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 can refried beans (I use the vegetarian version)
1 can enchilada sauce
1/2 carton sour cream (or plain yogurt)

1. Place roast in a oven-proof dish and top with spices (cumin, paprika, garlic and onion powder, and black pepper). Pour salsa over roast. Bake at 350 degrees for at least 3 hrs, or until meat shreds easily.
2. Shred meat and place into large saute pan. Add 2 cups shredded cheddar and sour cream and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and consistency is smooth.
3. Assemble tortillas: On the middle of the tortilla layer refried beans, a small amount of cheese and meat mixture. Roll up and place, seam side down, on a large baking dish.
4. Continue assembling until pan is filled. Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas, top with remaining cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
**An alternate way of assembling these is to spray the bottom of the pan with non-stick spray and overlap three tortilla shells. You can then layer: refried beans, tortillas, meat mixture, tortillas, cheese, tortillas, enchilada sauce and more cheese. Bake for the same amount of time. I have done this before and the bottom gets kind of crispy and it is just a different way to enjoy this basic recipe.**

1 comment:

  1. KBM, Kirs!! Seriously delish!! Thanks for posting all these recipes and for all the daily phone advice...I know you've made my cooking much more creative and yummy!!

    Also...the butter/cheese sauce recipe you gave me to put on the b-nut squash ravioli...we had some left and I put it with pasta and chicken and baked it...equally delish too- that sauce is heavenly!!!

    ReplyDelete