Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Three Soups and Chocolate Pudding

Today was a cook day for a client. He ordered three meals and three soups: chili, clam chowder, and crab bisque. I have already shared the chili recipe in reference to the loaded baked potato, but today I'll share the other two recipes. Soups are a great way to quickly put dinner on the table and to also include as many healthful ingredients as possible.

Chocolate pudding was always a treat growing up and my mom always put the pudding in special crystal goblets. My sister and I would fight over the largest goblet and we very annoyingly expected my mom to remember whose turn it was. I'm not sure I've ever had instant pudding, but this is so easy it's worth the extra five minutes to prepare. I make pudding for us occasionally, and it's a great incentive for the kids to finish their dinner. I try to prepare a dessert every other day as a way to incentivize my kids and also to prevent us from eating too much candy. Don't get me wrong, we love candy - but there are several reasons why we try to avoid it, including our total lack of dental insurance.


Clam Chowder
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 bag frozen corn,thawed and divided
1 bottle clam juice
1 1/2 cups half and half
2 small cans chopped clams

1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add carrot, celery, and onion. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
2. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir. Slowly add clam juice and stir until thickened. Add half and half.
3. Puree half of the thawed corn [in a blender]. Add pureed corn and the rest of the thawed corn to the soup.
4. Season with salt, pepper, and Old Bay, if desired.


Crab Bisque
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
1 can chicken broth
1 1/2 cups half and half
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
salt, pepper
8 oz "special" crabmeat*

1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook until translucent.
2. Sprinkle flour over onions and stir until smooth. Slowly add chicken broth and stir until thickened.
3. Add half and half and parsley. Season mixture with salt and pepper.
4. Add crabmeat and serve.
*I buy my crabmeat in the seafood section, I use "special" instead of claw or lump [for the soup]

Chocolate Pudding
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
2 T cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla

1. Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in milk.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
3. Boil and stir one minute. Remove from heat.
4. Add vanilla, stir, and serve (top with fresh whipped cream, if desired).

No comments:

Post a Comment