Monday, November 2, 2009

A Kid in the Candy Store...

One of my favorite days of the week (okay, my favorite) is the day I go grocery shopping. Now, of course I'm not organized like my mom, so I just go grocery shopping when we're officially lacking: toothpaste, toilet paper, coffee filters, and dishwasher tabs (all necessary to my very existence). So, today was the day I headed to the store (dressed inappropriately in flip-flops - brrrr...). Even though it's wintertime we are very blessed to have a great selection of fruits and veggies at our local Price-Rite store. I can't say enough about "PR". By shopping there, I easily save 50% from our local grocery store. Even better, their produce selection is unrivaled. I mean, can you beat cheaper and better? In the wintertime, we usually eat 6lbs per week of clementines. The kids can peel the oranges themselves and the vitamin C is necessary this time of year. We also enjoy: grapefruit, pomegranates, local apples and pears, and [the usual] bananas and grapes. The veggies I typically buy in the winter include: cabbage, parsnips, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, spinach, broccoli, squash, and cauliflower.

Today I was very excited to find celery root. I also found a gorgeous leg of lamb. My plan is to make the lamb roast for one dinner (to include lot of mint jelly) and to use the leftover cubed lamb to make a stew. Last year I made a stew with different root vegetables, lamb, and stout. It was so delicious and I am desperate to recreate it. I felt like a kid in a candy store when I brought home all of my groceries. It almost makes up for the tax check I have to drop off this afternoon and the fact that I feel miserable from my fourth cold since August. Grrr...

I'll keep you updated on the leg of lamb and guinness stew, but for tonight we're having fish. I bought rockfish and tilapia last week and I plan to grill them. I think we'll also have fettucine alfredo, steamed green beans and grilled pineapple with honeyed greek yogurt (can you tell I'm obsessed with Chobani?).

Grilled Rockfish
rockfish (1/2 lb per person)
olive oil
butter
salt, pepper
juice and rind of two lemons
fresh herbs

1. Spray a grilling tray or heavy aluminum foil with non-stick vegetable spray. Place fish (skin side down) on tray.
2. Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice, rind and herbs over fish filet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
3. Place butter pats on fish filet and grill until fish flakes easily. If using aluminum foil, poke holes in foil for the last two minutes of grilling to enjoy the barbeque flavor.


Grilled Pineapple

Grill large pineapple spears directly on grill until light char-marks appear. Serve warm with honeyed yogurt (mix 1T honey per cup of yogurt). Sprinkle with slivered mint if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment