Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Apple Galette

Partly to prove to you that I am still cooking and trying new recipes, I thought I'd post this apple galette recipe that I tried last night.  The sad fact is that our sunshine has been almost non-existent lately.  I'm also finding it difficult to photograph before the sun completely disappears for the night.  Our camera works very well in natural light without a flash - at night and with a flash, not so much. 

So, sadly, this is all that's left of my apple galette. 


A galette is basically a free-form pie.  I found this recipe on epicurious.  This was the first time I've made an all-butter crust and the first time I've utilized my food processor in the making of the crust. 

This was super easy and my audience gave it a 9 out of 10. 

The crust is flaky, crunchy, and pure perfection.  Apricot preserves are spread over the crust before the apples are placed on top.  The apples are simply prepared - sliced and tossed with sugar and lemon peel. 

The result was something even better than a McDonald's apple - it was so good it almost tasted fried. 

I was so glad that I'd managed to snap a few pictures during the four minutes of sunshine we enjoyed today. 


Those are real rays of sunshine, believe it or not.  And, check out that quilt - love it! 

4 comments:

  1. Yum, that looks great and sounds very easy. My kind of recipe!
    Cheers
    PS Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK you convinced me. I'm making this for Sunday lunch. I think yours looks even better than the epicurious version!

    That quilt is going to get a workout over the winter.It's meant to be used, thrown on the floor , dragged around and loved. Enjoy.

    PS Im eyeing off your cushions. Love them !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten, I've actually been thinking about YOU this holiday - I want some Thanksgiving Day spread photos!

    I typically use butter crusts now. I prefer them to shortening, more taste. This looks delicious.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, snot. I forgot the apricot preserves when I went to the grocery. I saw your recipe the other day and thought I'd try it tonight. Guess it will have to wait until later this week. sigh.

    It looks so fabulous, Kirsten! Hope you and your family enjoyed the long holiday weekend. Happy Monday! ☺

    ReplyDelete