Thursday, September 2, 2010

Now What?



I now find myself in the position of being a full-time mom....with kids in school. Of course, I have all of these pipe dreams of finally having a perpetually clean house, being in the best shape of my life, and having it all together. I think we all know that these dreams will stay just that - dreams. I am, however, determined to be purposeful. I may not be fully productive, but I know I need to step outside of myself.

I have a strong (!) tendency to shy away from social interaction. I have always felt very strongly that children need a steady and calm home in which to enjoy their young childhood. We rarely ventured out into the world very much when the kids were babies and toddlers - it was easier for me and I think kids need time for imaginative play -not to be run around all the time. Naturally, this fit in well with my anti-social comfort. But, I know I need to break away from that and to serve others. I am prayerfully considering how to best serve my community and I have a few ideas, but will continue to investigate.

My grandmother is struggling a little physically, so I have decided to help her a few hours per week - cleaning, cooking, whatever she may need. I will continue to pray with our school district's moms in touch group. I have been considering volunteering in the political realm - I have strong opinions, but I need to actually do something instead of complaining. I am also pondering in which way I could incorporate my love of food with helping others....more to come on that when I've solidified my plan.



This is a transition for me, to say the least. I can not lie, I was not ready to send Emma off to first grade. I honestly felt like they were taking babies to first grade yesterday. I am excited for her to move into the next phase, but I am going to miss her a lot. This will be the first time in twelve years that I'm not nurturing. Don't worry, I'm not desperate enough to have another baby or to get a dog, but I'm feeling a little adrift.



I am excited for this year. My kids all have amazing teachers. The girls' teachers are always the ones that each child wants to have. Josh loves the social aspect of school and he's promised that this is the year he'll become organized and we're hoping for all A's (he's working towards being allowed to play football next year). We are beyond happy with our school district - we enjoy small class sizes, current technology, committed teachers, and great families.



We had a great summer together, but the kids were so excited and so ready to head back to school!

I'm off to let Jillian Michaels kick my butt and then I'm cleaning my kitchen floor - wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I'm super excited about you volunteering in the political realm!!! I want to hear all about it. :) Did you decide what to do about Truth Project?

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't be too excited - we rec'd a call yesterday from the local RNC looking for volunteers...I may head out there in the next week or so to see what they need. I don't really identify too much with the more moderate side of the party, but I should put up or shut up! :)
    Rob and I are hoping to take the training for the Truth Project at a church in Hummelstown in October.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another part of your life journey K. Your kids are growing up but they still need you. I think this is a time where you can reflect on some of your own aspirations and decide what you want to do with that "spare" time. It sounds like you've got some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you keep us posted on your activities - sounds very interesting! And again, I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete