Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rhubarb Custard Pie

This is a repeat recipe, but my favorite dessert of all time.  A special thank-you to Grandma Teague for this delectable recipe.


my crust recipe: butter, shortening, flour, salt, ice water


I refrigerate my crust for at least an hour



the custard filling

top with butter - this is not optional!




so flaky, crunchy, creamy, sweet and tart - total perfection


Rhubarb Custard Pie
double crust (today I used 1/3 butter in place of some of the shortening)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups sugar
3 T milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp nutmeg (please grate if fresh!)
4 cups chopped rhubarb
6 T butter

1. Place unbaked crust on the bottom of the pie plate. Mix remaining ingredients, except butter.
2. Place rhubarb mixture into unbaked crust. Cover the mixture with pats of butter.
3. Place other crust on top, flute the edges, and cut steamvents on the crust.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for at least an hour, or until crust is golden and custard is set (it shouldn't wiggle).
5. Chill and serve cold.

2 comments:

  1. I will be passing this on to my SIL who loves rhubarb. I can't say I'll be trying it those. That's one of those foods I just can't get into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plan on making a pie this weekend-rhubarb is picked & in fridge-in DM for a couple of days-staying with j & c; baby any day now-plant shopping/hopping with my friend ramona!

    ReplyDelete