Monday, July 18, 2011

Pecan Pie

I am continually surprised by how many people love pecan pie.  Aside from the fact that there are less than ten ingredients - I thought people didn't really like nuts?  I guess they do!  I like pecan pie, but I prefer mine in the Kentucky vein - with bourbon and chocolate chips.  I made a traditional pie yesterday and it disappeared almost as fast as the cooler-full of jello [at our block party].




Pecan Pie (courtesy of the New Betty Crocker Cookbook)
1 unbaked pie shell
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 cup pecan halves

1.  beat sugar, butter, corn syrup, salt, and eggs in medium bowl with wire whisk until well-blended.
2.  stir in pecans.
3.  pour into pastry-lined pie plate.
4.  bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until center is set.

(a note of warning - just noticed that one slice of this pie is 530 calories - yikes)

3 comments:

  1. I'd have stolen the pie from the block party table, Kirsten! It looks delicious! ☺

    Do you use dark corn syrup or light? I know some people have a preference of one or the other.

    PS...True story...Yiayia and I were having a discussion last week on the fact that bourbon makes everything taste better. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are pecans really fatty? That calorie count is horrific! I dont eat pecan pie because Im allergic to nuts but we see that as a very American dish in my neck of the woods.

    Glad you clarified about the jello shots being at the block party. I had visions of you with an esky full in the kitchen for personal use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I won't be making that one, even though it looks very very nice.

    ReplyDelete