Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Great Fallback...Blueberry Coffee Cake

I fully intended to create a spectacular and impressive dinner last night. It was going to be perfect; Homemade ravioli with blush sauce, mixed greens with pomegranate seeds and blue cheese, steamed mixed vegetables, and sauteed cabbage. I plotted how I'd share with you how delicious and easy it was to concoct such a delicious dinner. Well, you know how you've heard that pride goes before a fall....
well it does - the ravioli was disappointing at best, disgusting at worst.

I used won-ton wrappers and filled them with: cottage cheese, cheddar, parmesan, garlic salt,egg, mozzarella, and.....spring onions. What probably could have tasted passable was completely ruined by the spring onions...what was I thinking? I imagined them to be a delicate addition to the creaminess of the cheese. The result was an overpowering, totally clashing blend of flavors. I did like how the won-tons tasted like fresh pasta, though...so, I will keep experimenting but on a smaller scale. Has anyone had any success with making ravioli this way, and what fillings have you used? I'm desperate to redeem myself!

Thank goodness my husband needed me to prepare a light snack for his board meeting this morning. I arranged a fresh fruit tray and whipped up an old standby: my Grandma's Blueberry Coffee Cake. This is a no-fail pan full of deliciousness. If my husband hadn't lost our camera, I would love to show it to you (I really just need to buy a new one as maybe some of these recipes would appear more appetizing with some visuals). The one and only problem with this recipe is that since it includes a good bit of fresh blueberries the shelf life is rather limited (let me assure you, this is not a problem in my house). My grandma inherited this recipe from a lady at her church and this my friends is a keeper. It really has the perfect combination of moist, crunchy, creamy, and downright addictive. Try to make this and see if it lasts long enough to mold!


Blueberry Coffee Cake (makes 2 9" round pans)

batter:
4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 T and 2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
4 cups blueberries

topping:
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup softened butter

glaze:
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup water

1. Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg.
2. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk.
3. Stir blueberries into batter and place in greased pans.
4. Mix topping and sprinkle on batter. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center is clean.
5. Mix glaze and pour over warm cakes.

2 comments:

  1. what you'd call a bad meal is probably a rather good meal for me :0) the dish sounds creative..thanks for all the ideas! i've never done anything with wonton wrappers but wouldn't mind trying sometime. finding fresh blueberries this time of year might be hard..did you get yours at pricerite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. eh, the dinner was very disappointing, but you're very sweet for suggesting otherwise! :) We are sitting here watching the barefoot contessa and Joshua is begging me to make her corn and lobster chowder-- oh, brother!

    You know what, I used frozen blueberries....I had them in the freezer from last summer I think...just make sure they are fully drained...I think PR is running out of fresh ones, and the Giant ones are crazy expensive!

    The won-ton wrappers are $1.99 at PR...sometimes I'll fill them with nutella and saute them, sprinkle a little powdered sugar--
    super easy and yummy...my gang loves it!

    ReplyDelete