Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hummus, and a sandwich to make with it...

I am always having food cravings. If I didn't know better, I'd think I was pregnant or something, the way my body seems to scream out for certain things. Last night I was hit with a serious craving for hummus. Weird, huh? (well, I'm kinda weird, in case you were too nice to point that out...it's okay, I know I am)

So, anyway, I waited as long as I could and this morning, around 10am, I whipped up a batch of hummus and, of course, dug right in. I will often purchase hummus and have not found a brand or flavor I don't like - but, the version I make in 5 minutes is somehow creamier and more pure than anything I've purchased. I love how I can somehow taste each of the six ingredients. I would urge you to use the best olive oil you have as it will affect the taste. I have in the past used whole garlic cloves, but I find the flavor a little sharp, so I have started to use garlic salt in it's place.

Hummus is a very versatile "ingredient". I use it as a dip, often just eating it with Kashi crackers or toasted pita bread. It is also delicious with fresh veggies and I have used it as a component in some very delicious sandwiches.

Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans, 1/2 of the liquid drained
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T tahini (your best bet to find it is in the organic section)
1 tsp cumin
olive oil

Blend all ingredients, adding as much olive oil to create the consistency you desire.


some sandwich ideas
On a pita bread: layer hummus, roasted red peppers, spinach, swiss cheese, turkey
broil until cheese is melted

On ciabatta bread: layer cream cheese, hummus, roasted red peppers, cucumbers, sprouts, provolone

1 comment:

  1. dudddee meeee too! when i was pregnant everyone would ask- what do you crave.. i would say, i crave food everyday when i'm not pregnant!

    ReplyDelete