Thursday, October 1, 2009

You know you're Pennsylvania Dutch when...

I was quite anxious to clean out my freezer today. I knew I had a pork roast, some leftover baguette and sandwich rolls, and a bag of sauerkraut. Let's just say Rob was less than thrilled when he realized what we were having for dinner! He said, "why are we eating this when we'll be eating Thanksgiving dinner in a month? All we need is a pumpkin pie". The funny thing was, I had one cooling in the refrigerator! :) Don't worry, I quickly informed him pork and sauerkraut is quite different from turkey, and that he was an ungrateful wretch!

We usually enjoy pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day (it's supposed to bring good luck, if you believe in that kind of thing...I don't). We also love "stuffing balls". Our middle daughter, we call her our carbivore, goes crazy for them! I also made mashed potatoes and gravy.

Needless to say, I was a little tired from cooking (and running 9mi today) and when my son reminded me he needed brownies for school....I (gulp) bought my first box of brownie mix!!! Amazing how the Lord humbles us!

Pork and Sauerkraut
bone-in pork roast
bag of sauerkraut
2 apples, sliced

Sprinkle pork roast with salt and pepper. Put an inch of water in pan with pork roast. Bake, covered, for 2 hrs at 350 degrees. Add sauerkraut and apples, recover, and bake for an additional 1 hr.

serve with mashed potatoes and gravy


Stuffing Balls
1 medium loaf of white bread, cut into small cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 stalks of celery
salt, pepper
2 eggs
1/2 cup warmed milk
fresh chives
fresh parsley

1. Saute onion and celery in butter.
2. Combine remaining ingredients and mix well with hands.
3. Form into "balls", place into a baking pan and cover with foil.
4. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so delicious (as do all of your recipes)! I am going to try a few in the next few weeks!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. i must have missed this one- i am dying laughing out loud.. just hearing you say to rob.. "you ungrateful wretch.." oh my word.. you crack me up

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes I think he is so spoiled (and I so nicely remind him...)I can only imagine my reaction upon coming home and finding a delicious home-cooked dinner-can you tell my love language is "acts of service"? how do you like how I project that onto him and when he doesn't respond how I want him to...well, you know! :)

    ReplyDelete