Friday, January 4, 2013

Triple Berry Pie



I made this pie last night for our fifteen year wedding anniversary and it was a total success!  We had enjoyed triple berry pie earlier this week on Longboat Key at Euphemia Haye - and everyone agreed that my version was even better! 

I had brought home an abundance of berries from our trip because we'd been overloading on all of the citrus we'd picked.  I wanted to use the strawberries, blueberries, and red raspberries before they spoiled. 

I pre-cooked my pie crust and then topped it with a cream cheese mixture.  I mixed the fresh berries with a simple glaze and then chilled the pie.  We topped ours with whipped cream and it was delicious!  I'm sure that when berries are in season here in the summer I'll be making this pie again. 


this lonely little piece is all that's left!

 Triple Berry Pie

Ingredients:
pre-baked pie crust
2 cups sliced strawberries
2 cups blueberries
2 cups red raspberries
4 oz softened cream cheese
2 T lemon juice
2 t lemon zest
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup water
4 T cornstarch
3/4 cup sugar

Method:
1.  In a medium-sized bowl, using a hand mixer, combine softened cream cheese with lemon juice and zest and condensed milk.  Mix until smooth.  Spread mixture into cooled pie crust.
2.  In a medium-sized saucepan, combine one cup of strawberries with sugar.  In a separate small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until smooth.  Pour cornstarch mixture into berries and sugar.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and boiling.  Remove from heat.
3.  Wash and prepare remaining fruit and place into large bowl.
4.  While  the cornstarch mixture is still hot, pour over remaining fruit and stir gently until all fruit is covered with strawberry glaze.
5.  Pour fruit-glazed mixture over cream cheese layer and refrigerate pie until chilled.  Serve with whipped cream. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow that looks and sounds delicious. I'd make that tomorrow as berries are in season but I'd have to eat it all by myself so it may have to wait until I have friends over so I can share it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to comment earlier but it didn't work. Looks good .. might even try it. With the New Year's diets though, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete