Friday, March 22, 2013

Birthday Party

So, I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but none of my kids have ever had a friend birthday party.  I always have a family party where I make their favorite meal and it's a great time of celebration.  I've typically used the excuses of: expense, my mental health, and our small house.  I think I don't realize that my kids are much more extroverted than I am.  I guess anyone is, really.  :)

Well, I guess since we caved on the pet we must be on a roll.  I allowed Kate to invite two friends to spend the night in honor of her birthday.  I guess it's not technically a party since it's such a small number, but she's really excited and I think this will be special for Kate. 

I'm fully prepared to now offer the same to Josh and Emma and I'm okay with that.  I feel like as our kids get older the stuff I found daunting before seems to appear more manageable.  Or maybe I'm just growing less selfish.  Let's hope it's the latter. 

Anyway, I found a couple of cute things on pinterest that we'll try tonight with the girls.  I'm making stromboli and I bought a few snacks that Kate and her friends are excited about.  I think we'll go for frozen yogurt after dinner and then come home for our activities. 

The first activity is a really cute craft.  I'm not normally a crafty person, but this looks pretty foolproof (what do you think?) 

Here are the supplies we'll be using.  I'm not sure how the stencils will work, but I bought seven canvases, so if we have a major success, I'll probably make a few gifts!




The other activity that Kate and her friends are excited about is this candy game.  




The original idea  is to wrap the candy up in tape, but we decided to use plastic wrap.  We'll give the girls each 30 seconds to unwrap as much candy as they can, which they'll keep.  It should be fun to see who can get the most, and how many turns it takes to unwrap the whole roll!





I figure the rest of the time they'll be giggling, playing karaoke, painting their nails, and probably not sleeping very much.  Wish us luck. 

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! If it makes you feel any better, I always hated when my kids talked me into big parties and I was never any good at them. My kids are much better at it on their own. (oh and they are grown now - 23, 26, 28, 29, and 32.)

    I think that craft is so doable and looks great -- can't wait to see what your's look like. Have fun - or at least try to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Kate. We had a couple of birthday parties with friends, but we were more likely to go bowling or to a movie rather than having a party at home.
    The Pinterest things look like fun, but remember there's also a website called Pinstrosity documenting epic fails when people have attempted to recreate pins on Pinterest. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the craft activity and the candy game is a good take on an old favourite for birthday parties . Im sure you'll survive (possibly not with your sanity intact or very much sleep ) and the kids will have a ball.

    ReplyDelete