Friday, January 21, 2011

$6.68

In the year 2011, what can you buy for $6.68 ?  The short answer is : not very much.  The longer answer could be:

1.  not quite two days of Comcast service
2.  3/4 of a gallon of Perrydell ice cream
3.  5 rentals at RedBox
4.  six things bought at the Dollar store (which will all break in 60 seconds) - can you tell I hate the Dollar store?
5.  an oven roaster bought on sale at Giant (99 cents per pound)



With this chicken, I made

dinner last night, Chicken Pie



lunch for tomorrow, a quart of chicken salad, made in the food processor (1 stalk celery, 1/4 cup mayo, 1/4 onion, 3 sweet gherkins, 2 cups shredded chicken).



I shredded the remaining meat for chicken and black bean enchiladas for next week and then used the bones to make 3 pints of chicken stock (also adding leftover carrot ends, onion skins, and celery tops).



$6.68 may not sound like much, but it can yield more than you think.....

3 comments:

  1. Is that Ina's chicken stew with biscuit topping? It's soooo good. I love making stew from a roaster in a 9X13- so easy, SO tasty. Sometimes I cheat and just buy a ready rotisserie chicken from our local co-op and bypass roasting my own :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roast chickens for the same reason, they are so versatile and it is so easy to extend to feed lots of people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when you can get multiple meals from one thing. I always think Im doing well when I get two meals out of a roast but you're just simply amazing.

    (I make my own stock too -it's just so much better than the instant variety.)

    ReplyDelete