Friday, January 7, 2011

Favourite Thing Friday

 A fat-free dessert!

I'm happy to be participating in Mrs. P's first Favourite Things Friday of 2011!  

In honor of the New Year - I offer you this simple dessert.  I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to detox from the holidays.  I dug this recipe out of the archives of 2009.  I apologize for the low-quality pictures - this was obviously before we invested in a decent camera.  Hopefully you get the idea.  I think what I'll have to do is revisit some of my old posts and recreate them with decent pictures!  I'll keep you posted. 

 A few little ingredients can yield an impressive and delicious dessert. Egg whites, cream of tartar, sugar and cocoa (optional) whipped into a fluffy and marshmallow-like nest. Top with fresh berries and you have a healthy low-calorie treat. We also included fresh whipped cream and ice cream, but these additions are definintely not fat-free.

Meringue Nests
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 T sugar
2 T cocoa

1. In large mixing bowl, whip whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
2. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until soft peaks form.
3. Add cocoa and continue to beat whites until stiff and glossy.
4. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, create "nests" (basically, drop 1/2
cup meringue onto the parchment paper and using the back of a spoon, create a well in the center).
5. Bake at 250 degrees for one hour. Turn off oven and allow meringues to rest in the oven for an additional hour and 15 minutes.
6. Top with berries and serve.





11 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm going to try this. Do you think it will set up okay or should I wait until the drizzle stops outside? Happy FTF! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. I wasn't sold until you piled it with berries and now, I'm all over this baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around here, we call those Schaum Torte, and I love them! Never made them though - thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try these when it gets closer to strawberry season...we've got a ways to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well once I find out what cream of tartar is in German I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hey, it's chocolate pavlova" say the Aussies...

    My mum makes the best (non chocolate) pavlova in the world. but not often enough, which is why I'm very glad you can buy a quite good one at the supermarket.

    I can't cook, see. Even a 4 ingredient thing like a pav :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great recipe Kirsten, and I could do with a few low fat recipes. I think it's too humid to make them here at the moment so might have to wait awhile before I try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Meringue. It always surprises me how tasty it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laughing at Sara's comment . It IS chocolate pavlova. Ive never made my own meringue before but you made it look easy. Is that just because you're an extra ordinary chef or is it really that easy and how many did you get out of the recipe? And if I stuff them up will you come over to my house and cook them for me?

    Another recipe for the holiday list !

    ReplyDelete
  9. um, I am definitely not an extraordinary chef - the recipe is just that easy.

    I am thinking the recipe would make five small nests -

    sure, I'll come over, I bet it's lush and green and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey friend! I'm presenting you with the Stylish Blogger Award. Stop by and pick it up! Happy Saturday! :o)

    Larri at Seams Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have to try this one. My guy doesn't like really sweet desserts, if it has fruit on it, he' usually likes it. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete