I'm happy to be participating in Mrs. P's first Favourite Things Friday of 2011!
In honor of the New Year - I offer you this simple dessert. I'm sure I'm not the only one trying to detox from the holidays. I dug this recipe out of the archives of 2009. I apologize for the low-quality pictures - this was obviously before we invested in a decent camera. Hopefully you get the idea. I think what I'll have to do is revisit some of my old posts and recreate them with decent pictures! I'll keep you posted.
A few little ingredients can yield an impressive and delicious dessert. Egg whites, cream of tartar, sugar and cocoa (optional) whipped into a fluffy and marshmallow-like nest. Top with fresh berries and you have a healthy low-calorie treat. We also included fresh whipped cream and ice cream, but these additions are definintely not fat-free.
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 T sugar
2 T cocoa
1. In large mixing bowl, whip whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
2. Add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until soft peaks form.
3. Add cocoa and continue to beat whites until stiff and glossy.
4. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, create "nests" (basically, drop 1/2
cup meringue onto the parchment paper and using the back of a spoon, create a well in the center).
5. Bake at 250 degrees for one hour. Turn off oven and allow meringues to rest in the oven for an additional hour and 15 minutes.
6. Top with berries and serve.